Folksy Ltd

What would you do?

I had an order last week on another selling site for 3 personalised baby towels. I embroidered the as she asked and sent them off. Over the weekend she contacted me saying one of the names was spelled wrong. I have checked and the spelling was exactly as she put it in the message, which it would be as I copy and pate them straight into the embroidery software. She is now asking me to replace it in spite of this. It does say in my T’s & C’s that I’ll only replace them if the mistake is mine, which in this case it clearly isn’t.
What would you do?

I would probably do it through clenched teeth :slight_smile: If she’s happy with them for baby gifts, she may be back for more and people will be asking “Where did you get this?” and you don’t want them to hear about a dispute…

1 Like

I thought someone might say that, and I’d probably do the same normally. But she’s been sneaky about it sending me obviously edited copys of the original message with the names on. You can’t edit a note to seller so I have the original unedited copy here. If she hadn’t done that I’d have sent another straight away, but it’s annoyed me somewhat :expressionless:

It’s a rubbish situation to end up in, for both you and your customer! I would be inclined to stick to the T&Cs though … otherwise what’s the point of having them?

I would probably, after breaking the news that I’m not going to replace the item free of charge, offer a small discount or free postage or something like that on any replacement that she purchases. That way you’re still being generous without being completely out of pocket for an error that wasn’t yours.

4 Likes

I’d replace it or she may give you a bad review which could damage future sales. If you’re confident the error is by the customer, you could suggest to her you’ll replace it as a good will gesture, and ask if she is prepared to pay a small amount towards your material cost. As an insurance for yourself you could add a little more to your prices incase this happens again in the future.

1 Like

Shoot! That’s awful. I’d be even less inclined to replace it for free in this case (or to offer a discount on a replacement). That’s so not on.

Stick to your guns. You both know who is telling the truth here. Even if you end up with bad feedback it’s not the end of the world and it would be terrible to encourage someone who is willing to lie to try and cover up their own mistakes at your expense.

The hardest part will probably be doing it all in polite business speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s just sent me a message saying she’s just realised it was her mistake so will accept it as is. So hopefully that’s that last I’ll hear of it :expressionless:

7 Likes

Good! I was about to take back my original suggestion in the light of her dishonest behaviour!

1 Like

glad it’s sorted Donna but as it was her mistake you where not responsible and should not be out of pocket. It is up to the buyer to make sure they give the correct details to a seller.

1 Like

If she gives a bad review and you have your evidence I’m sure Folksy support will remove it.

1 Like