Whats the best Christmas shopping month?

In addition to a regular shelf unit in a local craft shop I have been lucky enough to be offered a “showcase table” in a local garden centre. It is only available for one month at a time as they like to rotate the crafts available but I can have it for November or December - can’t decide which would be better. December would be a shorter month as I suspect it would grind to a halt on Christmas eve if not before but maybe the beginning of the month would generate more sales than November.

What do others think?

That is a dilemma. For what it’s worth, I worked in a craft gallery in the centre of Sheffield up until a couple of years ago. November was a good month but sales really took off in December, the last week right up until Christmas Eve, mostly men, leaving their Christmas shopping to the last minute.

2 Likes

Funny, because I was going to say November is when I like to do the bulk of my buying as I can then enjoy December and all its nativity plays…plus we are always off visiting relatives the first weekends of December delivering presents to those whom we wont see on Christmas day.
But I agree with Dawn @dawnsneesbyjewellery if you are hoping to sell to the men who are buying for their wives, then December should be your month of choice.
Suzzie x

1 Like

Difficult one. I’m going to vote for November especially if it is one of those destination garden centres with lots of stuff as well as plants. Women are buying presents in Nov so that they can get them in the post (and your scarves strike me as a good present for posting) and people are visiting garden centres to get their bedding plants/ poinsettas, other decorations and non perishable food (my local one does chutney, biscuits, cake, sweets, puddings etc). You also have the potential of women picking up business cards/ flyers so that their menfolk can last minute buy them a present online or from the other craft shop you mention. I think by December there are lots of pop up christmas markets as well as craft galleries/ shopping malls to draw people away from the garden centre unless they can go there to buy the tree… I think I could persuade myself in circles on this one so choose a month for this year and then see if you can get the other next year and then you’ll know!
Sasha

3 Likes

How exciting I would of said November as I like to usually get my gifts before all the rush.

1 Like

I vote November too, I sell more at November fairs than December ones, lots of people are quite organised and have it covered by Dec.
As Sasha said your things are ideal for posting, so if bought in Nov could go overseas too.

1 Like

I’d say November too. The point about men buying gifts for wives etc is a good one though, it’d be interesting to see if that bears any similarity for online buyers!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

November has my vote too <3

1 Like

Looks like November gets the vote which is what I was veering towards anyway so I will go with that and see what happens. Thanks for all your replies.

2 Likes