Who is your ideal/target customer?

On last Tuesday’s #folksyhour on Twitter we were discussing pricing. It occurred to me during it that not only do I needed to review my prices, but also to rethink who my ideal/target customer is.

Now I know they are female with a disposable income who likes art and wildlife but that’s as far as I get. So whilst I’m spending some time drilling it down further, I was wondering, do you know who your ideal/target customer is?

2 Likes

So far I’ve figured out it’s primarily women aged 30 - 65, also people that like personalised gifts…but then i’m stuck :confused: x

1 Like

My customer’s are mostly women aged 20 - 65, but have had a few male customers, buying for wives, daughters etc.

1 Like

On my drilling down, I found this link which was quite useful:
http://www.blacksburgbelle.com/2013/12/how-to-really-find-your-target-market/

2 Likes

This is brilliant! Thank you hunni x

1 Like

Thanks Liz, very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol! It is difficult, isn’t it. Women aged 30 to 65. But then who buys anything? I imagine that Marks and Spencer would say the same…

Sam x

That link is excellent @BigBirdLittleBird . The only thing I’m unsure about is “stalking” my customers online, but maybe that’s because I’ve always been the “good” child…

Sam x

2 Likes

I did also find another link by the lovely @HilaryP

So my target customer for my larger more expensive pieces is:
female, 30-65yrs old, married professional (so more disposable income for handmade crafts), if they have kids there will only be one or two (more kids, less disposable income), live in detached house in a lovely green area (they care about their home life). They like wildlife, art and possibly admire handcrafts but don’t have the time to spend on it.

2 Likes

My ideal customer is male. I find men spend more money on my work than women. I do not sell cheap items, and have found through on line selling that men spend more generously.

I know that this is going against everything that the online guides tell us but I don’t aim to promote my items to any type of customer in particular. I hope that a whole range of people will see my work.

From my sales though - it would appear that my items sell mostly to women aged 30 - 70’ ish! I do sell to Men quite often but it is usually suggested that they have been pointed in my direction by the gift recipient!

1 Like