Brand new tag pages!

URGENT Please see my latest post in the Google search topic.

I have become Google blind -
which is pretty dreadful as I;ve always been at the top of "stained glass suncatcher " search but noticed I’d dropped to 5th 11 days ago

and now I appear to be totally dead in the water - which matches my (non Facebook sourced) sales in a period when I’'m usually filling the post office with my parcels.
HELP

Anyone else who knows where they used to rank in Google care to see if they have vanshed too. ???

I was about to type the same things. Visitors can easily leave my shop and move to someone else’s.

This sounds like a really good idea, and I will have a play now!

hi - you’re 4th and 5th on my google search - that’s good isn’t it ?

Personally, I’m not too keen on that. I won’t feel super excited if someone found my shop through someone else’s work and fees.

I guess we’ll have to give it time and see how it goes…

I don’t mind how someone finds my shop :). If they are having fun clicking from one item to another through the tags, they are likely to spend more time on here, see more items, and possibly buy more lovely things. And if it helps on Google as well…We all win!

4 Likes

Sally yes thank you very much for checking -----but this is really really odd… I use Google Chrome as my browser.
On that I’ve suddenly vanished.

Just thought to check via my alternative browser - Firefox - there I am in the normal place. Tried on my android phone - ok and my husband’s tablet - OK.

I seem to have become invisible to Google Chrome. Weird or what. The image line is usually full of mine and none there either.

I am using Vista - yes I know it’s old but at the moment my laptop works so I don’t want to fix it but maybe it’s to do with that as Chrome is no longer supported with Vista or vice vers !

hi joy -
i’m using firefox - on images search, one of yours is about 6th along.

I use Google Chrome and you appear as 4th and 5th on the first page for me Joy.

Kim
x

I use Google Chrome and just did a search for “stained glass suncatcher”. You came up 5th with your Folksy shop and 6th with your own website. On images you’re 2nd. :slight_smile:

Elaine

Niche tags are good, Sam! definitely still use tags like ‘lampwork’, ‘lampwork beads’, ‘lampwork jewellery’ because that’s a great way for people to find your work both within Folksy and on Google.

Here’s the tag page for ‘lampwork’ which has loads of results https://folksy.com/tags/lampwork and this is the page for ‘lampwork beads’ (used as a one-word tag https://folksy.com/tags/lampwork_beads

You could try mixing up more niche tags with more general ones too and see which ones work best and give you more views.

1 Like

Well that’s a relief - to find I’m only hiding from myself.
I am aware that Google Chrome is no longer supported on Vista and suspect that from April; next year it won’t work at all. Am already planned to replace the pc and this laptop (both Vista) before.
I may have to expedite those replacements !!!

Thank you @elliestreasures @SallyandtheFreckles @KBCreations
I am relieved. Maybe all my potential customers are also still on Vista :slight_smile:

Panic over and I am reminded that I used to be a pretty good Computer Analyst. Sorted.

I take my laptop when I travel and eventually if I’m in France for a few weeks it sets Google to be local Google.FR
It gets set back when I come back but it was taking me to Google.com instead of Google.co.uk.!!
Realised what it was when I tried on the desktop computer (which never gets to go on holiday to France) and that was fine.
This one is fine too now that I’m defaulted to Google.co,uk.
That’s enough head scratching for me for one night and thanks everyone for the input.

4 Likes

I thought this might need clarifying too, Sam. Very broad tags like ‘present for mum’ are great for internal searches (so for people looking for different gift ideas for their mum within Folksy) but it’s going to be hard for a very broad tag page like that to rank highly on Google because there are so many other sites competing to be top of that search.

Where the tag pages could do well on Google is for more niche search terms exactly like ‘lampwork jewellery’ because there is less competition. But the results on that page would need to be relevant and they would also include lots of items with the words ‘lampwork jewellery’ in their title (as well as in the tag).

So although there’s only one item on the tag results page for ‘lampwork jewellery’ at the moment https://folksy.com/tags/lampwork_jewellery, if you tagged all the items in your shop that are actually lampwork jewellery with ‘lampwork jewellery’, then there will suddenly be another page on Folksy with lots of your items. That means if someone is looking for lampwork jewellery and clicks on the tag (either on one of your items or on someone else’s) they will see lots of your products and, crucially, they will all be relevant to their search.

To be honest, we don’t know yet how the tag pages will rank on Google, or how shoppers will use them, but we’ve created these pages based on research we’ve done and advice we’ve been given by people who know their stuff. As @HilaryP says, we’ll be monitoring it closely.

2 Likes

I’ve been off for a while :flushed: altering some tags! Hopefully some of my stuff should now turn up under “Lampwork Jewellry” and “Murano Jewellery.” Fingers crossed :smile_cat:

Sam x

Just to let you know @folksycontent and @HilaryP, I have just googled Handmade birthday cards and handmade Christmas cards and Folksy is no4 and no1 respectively on the organic search listings. That’s NEVER happened before so it maybe a coincidence but it oops like the new pages are ranking with Google very quickly. :slight_smile:

And textile artwork ranks no1 on the second page whereas before Folksy was nowhere. So something is changing for the better with the site’s ranking.

I’m hoping to go through some of my tags today but want to ask @folksycontent if there is a limit on the number of letters we can use?
At the moment most of my cards have the words ‘card’ and ‘cards’ as 2 of their tags and the occasion (birthday, wedding etc) as seperate tags but I have some which are suitable for many occasions so if I have to redo their tags it could lead to a lot of letters.
For example this card https://folksy.com/items/6790361-Handmade-Turquoise-Butterfly-card-Personalisation-Available I would imagine I would need to use ‘Handmade Birthday Card’ Handmade Mothers’ Day Card’ ‘Handmade Anniversary Card’ etc as well as Handmade Butterfly Card’ ‘Handmade Personalised Card’ (as I can offer a personalisation service on this one) If there is a limit to the number of letters/characters allowed in each tag or the tag box I’m going to have to try and find a way to condense this

I was looking at a stained glass product just now and clicked on her “stained glass” tag. I was surprised that nothing of yours came up, Joy, so I looked at your tags and you have ‘stained’ and ‘glass’ as separate tags.
It seems that complete phrases are going to be more effective - e.g. “red bracelet” rather than “red” and “bracelet”.

Christine Thank you - yes I did a couple of checks and didn’t see mine except low down. It seems I need to do some retagging !

I’ve made a start - done the first 8 - got to wait for the Folksy search index to find them. I’ll work down the rest later… Thanks again Christine :slight_smile:

1 Like