Don't forget!

Royal Mail are increasing their prices from 2nd April, so you might want to update your postage costs whilst you’re munching your choccos this weekend… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :chocolate_bar:

The online price guide is here: https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2024-03/online-price-guide-april-2024-v1-ta.pdf

10 Likes

Thanks for the reminder :blush:

2 Likes

Is there any way to do this in bulk, rather than individually?

There’s a bulk edit section in your account settings where postage can be bulk edited. X

Ah, I see it. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the reminider. I didnt put my normal rate, ist class standard small package down last time when RM did so have decided to leave that one the same again but may have to attack the more expensive pieces as I charge for signed for for those and that rate is shooting up. Will use the bulk edit. It works really well.

1 Like

Tracked 24 might be a good alternative to Signed for @JOYSofGLASS . For a Small Parcel up to 2kg, they’ve put the Signed for up by 50p to £5.39 but the Tracked 24 only by 20p to £4.19 (plus 16p for the post office drop off charge, if you don’t have them collected).

1 Like

Thanks Debbie but not for me. I will explain as it is really important to me that i continue to do post the way i do it :slight_smile:
I live in a very rural area, down country lanes. 4 miles from town. To use post office in town i also have to pay to park as well as drive there and back and walk to and from the car park (my legs do not always want to do that :slight_smile: ).
I have a perfect local post office come village shop which serves a very wide communitiy. It is 15 minute pretty well daily round trip to pop in with my parcels, chat to my local friends and put the world to rights with Jo, Grab a bar of chocolate or a bottle of Fairy Liquid and pay over the counter and be 99.999% confident that for some reason the post from that tiny post office goes where i have paid for it to go and very quickly too. No hassle sorting out my postage, Jo knows what I send and how I post everything. I an SOOOO lucky.

My daily fear is that without a good enough Post Office counter business Jo might have to stop post-mistressing (that’s hard to spell :rofl: ) or the Post Office might stop it for her. That really would upset me. We quite often have difficulty getting to town when it rains ( !!) as there are little rivers which flood over the road and we sometimes could not even get to the town post office if we wanted to.

I know I can drop my tracked 24 paid on line parcels at Jo’s BUT she gets only a teeny bit of compensation for handling that package compared to what she gets if she sells me the postage over the counter. We have discussed it and I have promised to continue to be one of her best customers.
It’s a tiny office, it can get quite full with all those tracked bags that get left there And she is legally responsiblle for them too for honestly a very tiny fee.
Oh and she is also my cash machine And provides me with a float when I occasionally do a craft fair.
I call it Use it or Lose it
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If im reading the RM posters correctly the track 24 and track 48 are going to become available to buy from the post office after the 2nd so no need to buy online. Worth asking Jo about it next time you see her as they would be a good alternative to signed for. (It also looks like the amount of insurance cover is going down on ‘signed for’)

2 Likes

Ah but we get more munching time on chocolate doing it individually… takes longer…yum yum :rofl:

1 Like

Oh no, more increases… i don’t buy online no doubt the increase for 2nd class signed and special delivery will be even higher at the post office but like Joy we live in a small village, the post office is a life line for many as we don’t have a shop so I would rather pay a little more in the hope we keep it going.
It certainly has gone up a lot over the past couple of years though. Better pop over and have a look…thanks for the info Debbie.

1 Like

Sasha you are a star.
Please buy yourself a Lindt chocolate bunny and if I ever meet you I will give you the money for it :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit:

The 2024 post office counter price list… is now on my desktop as i always keep the to date one on there

Yes - signed for is going down from £50 to £20 compensation and as i use signed for purely to get the previous £50 they can forget that. !!
Yes it shows Tracked 24 and 48 on the list which i take as being first and second class really and yes compenstion is £150.
Rhat stupid £20 limit on standard has bugged me for years as it has never gone up in the 13 + years i have checked it. Was getting to the point when the compensation maximum could have been less than the postage !! :rofl:

Just got a spreadsheet also on my desktop and adding to it the postage rates i normally use (large letter , small package standard and Small package signed for) to decide what each of those will be replaced by but certainly Small package signed for at £5.99 and £20 insurance has just gone out of my window to be replaced by
either tracked 24 at £4.79 or Tracked signed for at £6.19. Both have £150 insurance.

Question is do i replace my normal ist class which will be £4.59 with the tracked 24 too
??? . Difference is only 20p and for that i get a photo proof And proper insurnace value.

Decisions decisions… and i need to make up my mind as anything ordered now will be posted at the new rates… including an expensive piece this morning…

Question. How important is that signature if i have proof, photo of delivery ?

2 Likes

I don’t think signature is that important any more as you get gps coordinates and photo of delivery. You have a good relationship with your social media following could you do a poll to find out if they would prefer a signature or not?

3 Likes

I could but i only offer signature on more expensive items anyway. I must admit i hesitate to force signed for as it must be really awkward if you are out at work. Since Covid our postie has agreement to leave even signed for in the outside loo if we are out.
Postie and Evri also know they are welcome to use the loo too :slight_smile:

My main problem is that most of my listings have a note about the postage i use and I am Not going through editing 100s of listings to remove it.

1 Like

I didnt find the new postage rates when i looked earlier, every link I opened was either the current rate or online prices. Am I right in thinking small parcel signed for isn’t going to be much use now ? I send most items 2nd class small parcel signed for and I often upgrade to special delivery as I need the higher value compensation cover. @SashaGarrett do you know how much the new rate will be please ?
Thank you

Here https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2024-03/our-prices-april-2024-v1-ta.pdf
These are post office counter prices and yes the signed for small parcel which i have always used for more expensive items / orders with several things is now rubbish and i will be using the tracked 24 and adding signed for if i think it needs it.

1 Like

Thank you Joy, will have to try and re train my brain after years if 2nd signed for :laughing: bet I forget a few times.

1 Like

Oh gees, wow, RM certainly want their pound of flesh on the high value insured items.

All of mine are in the small parcel category and they’ve done away with any service that insures for £50 so those items will now go in with the rest that are up to £150 on the RM 24 or RM 48 service and its around about the same price. That’s fine.

Lets move on to the high value insured, only available on the Guaranteed Next Day, 3 levels, up to £750, up to £1,250 I think it is, off the top of my head, and £2,500. My weight brackets are like up to 500g, up to 1kg, up to 2kg and on average each of these appear to have gone up by around £8, which is around about a 45-50% increase.

Ive not looked at International insured yet, which RM only provide cover for on items up to £250 anyway so i have to use another provider for anything high value that goes International.

Guess what i’ll be doing today, besides getting a headache.

Edit to add: I don’t know what I was looking at that made me think that the prices had risen by £8, it was very confusing as some services no longer available and then there is International Tracked, International Signed, International Signed and Tracked and more and I think I mixed the services up and looked at the prices of one that I don’t use, some of them have gone up but I don’t think they’ve gone up by £8. Anyway, all done now (by just after 8pm on 30th March)

2 Likes

Good news that you can now do what’s best for you at the same time as what’s best for your local post office! :partying_face:

I guess you could change the posting information on your listings as and when you renew them, so you’re just doing a section at a time and, in the meantime, you could maybe add a sentence to your order acknowledgement email that confirms that you’ll actually be sending Tracked 24 / 48? I’ve been using it in place of Signed for now for 6 months or so and have found it super fast and everyone is very happy with it.

I always acknowledge orders with a note as to how and when I’m posting so that part is not a problem. As you say I can change the listings as and when but probably not a problem as I do always tell the customer the day they ordered (except the very odd latecomer which I forget until next day :rofl: : ) and I’m sure that is more important than a bit of spiel on the listing. What the customer wants is to receive their order promptly and safely… :slight_smile:

1 Like