Selling Candles

Hi, I have a query about the rules for selling Candles. I was sat next to a new stallholder, she was selling handmade candles. She wasn’t aware that she should have liability insurance, we encouraged her to find out and get cover, as there are risks involved
I was also thinking, should she have some sort of safety certificate, like for toys, and ingredients list? I didn’t want to overwhelm her with too much information at once. Can anyone advise?

2 Likes

There was a thread about this recently but the seller on here, claimed she knew her business and did not need any for. Of insurance etc. The fact that candles can cause fires went over her head, still selling them.

Anyone selling should have insurance you never know what people may sue for now. I also blame the organisers as have always been asked at events to prove the pli I hold and the value it covers up to. If they had insurance for the event would have invalidates there’s insurance if a stall holder does not have any and an accident occurs on the day.

A lot of us have been banging on about insurance for years but some people just do not care and things like too expensive, makes me wonder do they insure their cars and homes.

Found this very useful information.

1 Like

There’s several things to consider. A candle seller is supposed to assess the safety of domestic indoor candles with respect to their burning characteristics, such as flame size, potential sources of secondary ignition (e.g. embedded materials, coatings, and decorations), stability and the adequacy and legibility of labelling and instructions for safe use. Also, the fragrances used for scent throw, the flash points of essential oils, etc. There must be safety labelling on each item. And as you say, public liability insurance if you stand a market stall or sell in public.

The main concern for candles is likely to come from the fragrances used. In particular, a
number of common fragrances are classified as ‘sensitisers’ as they can cause allergic
reactions and this can manifest at very low concentrations.

There are no specific legal requirements for selling candles in the UK, unlike cosmetics and soaps, but you still need to ensure your business complies with the General Product Safety Regulation 2005. And I suspect you are required to register your business with the local authority.

How many people actually do this is anyone’s guess and with so many making candles, I doubt it’s ever policed.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, i have sent the link to the ladies. She naively thought that people wouldnt want to actually burn the beautiful candles so why would there be an issue.

2 Likes

Er! I burn candles I burn as love the scent but only when in the room.

2 Likes

I used to know a chap who bought plain church pillar candles and refused to burn them because they were “too nice”. He would put a tealight on the top of each pillar candle and burn those instead!

No matter how much encouragement I gave him to burn his pillar candles, he wouldn’t. Some people do just buy candles for decoration :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I used to make soap, I’d have people who refused to use it saying it was too pretty. I was like…who the hell buys soap then doesn’t use it! But they’d just like it in the bathroom all twinkly and pretty.

1 Like