How did you learn your craft?

I learnt to sew, embroider and knit at a young age, encouraged by my Mum who would always be making something. I loved both art and textiles at school and went on to art school, learning different techniques much similar to coatimundi above, all great fun! I went on to study textile design at uni and have worked as colourist and designer in the textile industry learning lots along the way!

1 Like

I was also taught to sew knit and crochet by the time I was fifteen ,then taught myself to do Aran knitting which I found quite hard but soon got the hang of it .
In the seventies I used to knit for a company in Scotland .
Now I make all sorts of different things ,shortly I will be putting on two new items for sale

1 Like

My Gran taught me to knit and crochet and her sister, my great aunt was a seamstress and I have her to thank for finishing off properly, she didnā€™t mind embarrassing me by lifting up my skirts to make sure I had hemmed correctly.

1 Like

Awww , You reminded me.

I taught my mother to sew and I used to do just that, lift up the hem of her new dress/shirt to check sheā€™d hemmed it properly. Iā€™d also check sheā€™d hand sewn all her ends in rather than simply going backwards and forwards with the machine. She would get her own back though.

Even now when I visit and take my knitting I find her checking Iā€™ve not dropped a stitch or messed up my tension.

1 Like

I started out with beaded bracelets and rings which with lot of research i taught myself, this then led to polymer clay and with the help of some great youtube videos i just went off and taught myself that too lol. Same goes for Crochet but this is the craft i slightly regret learning as i now have and unbelievable amount of wool which was not cheap, i just canā€™t help myself. I love to pick up new things.

1 Like

I used to make Daisy Chain seed bead bracelets when I was a teenager, then when I was older I used to make patchwork quilts and simple bracelets to sell on my friendā€™s regular craft fair stall. I had to give up making the quilts - too hard on my back! - but carried on with the jewellery for a little while. After a break of a few years I found my old beading kit in a cupboard (thank goodness I hadnā€™t thrown it away!) and I started again. I spent some time learning new techniques and Iā€™m still experimenting. I started selling my pieces through my workplace and mustered the courage to open my Folksy shop about a year ago. Iā€™m lucky enough to have a tiny back bedroom set up as my workroom and itā€™s my favourite place in the house - after a hard day at my job, some time in my workroom keeps me sane!

1 Like

Hi i have been working with glass, tiles and ceramics for a good number of years, I started out by joining an evening Stained glass class in Cornwall over 18yrs ago and have been hooked ever since. I also work with mosaics, i run classes in both but i do find mosaics are great for a wider range of ages.
I love what i do , love teaching and spreading the joy of working with Glass.
For me everyday is still a learning day x

Hi, I am really very new to cold process soap making and have learnt mainly by watching you tube videos. There is also a really helpful group on Facebook who awnser any question as so much can go wrong in soap making.
It is a fascinating thing to do especially when you achieve the results you set out to get. there are many regulations in this industry which puts many off but i would recommend it to any although a warning it is a highly addictive craft.

Hey, itā€™s great to see all these stories, thereā€™s so many creative people, you just have to believe in what you do & go for it. Iā€™m a mostly self taught jeweller, having a completed a basic silversmithing course. Iā€™d been practising and playing with jewellery for a few years before I had confidence in what I was designing. Now itā€™s about continuing to push myself & learn new skills. It can be a tough process, but oh so rewarding when you end up with a product you really love all created by you!
Mandie x

1 Like

I wanted to do a silver jewellery course, but there wasnā€™t any space, so ended up on a stained glass class.

My love of all things glass has developed from there. I have done a fusing course, and really must look into some more fusing courses.

As a member of my local WI, last months talk was by a lovely lady who has created a safe cold ceramic, so I am going to explore mixing the ceramic with some glass soon.

I am self taught and started by making my Sindy doll clothes great to see a picture of Sindy she was always my favourite like a real girl unlike Barbie

2 Likes

My Mum was into crafts - knitting, dressmaking, embroidery, leather work (for that she did an evening class) I was very young, but I remember and I still have some of the items she made! So crafting was a natural step for me, although I did get side tracked when I did the Art foundation and thought all I wanted to do was paint and draw! After a few years working with collage, I taught myself to use a sewing machine, having previously shown no interest! I have a huge stash of craft books, but used them at first for techniques and ideas. Nowadays I design and create from scratch. I dabble in lots of crafts! Book making, sewing, embroidery, macrame, card making, and I also knit and crochet. I think textiles is what interests me mainly and I would love to do a proper course but I donā€™t think it is going to happen now.

Iā€™m self taught for the feltmaking and semi self taught for my artwork & illustration (semi as in I studied hard at a good school but didnā€™t go to art college).

Itā€™s great having two strings to the bow because felting is better as a summer craft, it dries quickly and wet hands are not as uncomfortable in summer, painting for winter, locked into my studio with the fire turned up :o)

I taught myself to Crochet from books and magazines. I wanted to learn something new and I remember my father crocheting so thought I would give it ago. Now I am hooked, no pun intended. I named my shop Grannyman as I learned to make granny squares and I am a man.

My mother who is no longer with us taught me how to crochet and stitch by hand but I self taught myself how to use a sewing machine and use it pretty well +++smiles+++

I have sewn since I was about 12, I attended a 2 year fashion course in my late teens. Jewellery making, rubber stamping and soldering were basically learnt off the internet.

I tend to waffle on about my craft projects on my fb page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Poisoned-Apple-Theatre-All-sorts-of-Crafts/102785243100696

I have always enjoyed putting trimmings and emblishments on out dated clothes. So I decided to try decorating a few of my daughters t-shirts. The compliments received from friends and relatives motivated me into making to sell!

1 Like

www.facebook.com/solypopclothing has some of the designs made by me

1 Like

I was always interested in art and textiles at school and did very well at gcse in this, I then studied art and design and then design and craft at college for a few years doing anything ranging from life drawing, pottery, package design, graphics and loads more! (Yep packed alot in in those years lol) but I have to say it was my mum in later years that taught me to knit and I produced some lovely baby knits, and books helped me when I got my sewing machine to make and create bags and various things, love it!

1 Like

I was taught by my late nan when i was 6 years old. I use to be good at crochet then and not good at knitting. Now i am a lot older it is the other way round lol :wink: , i canā€™t understand a crochet pattern at all. Dressmaking i learnt at school as we had to, the boys got to do wood work - which i really wanted to do :smile: as for now, most is self taught and a combination of everything what comes to mind. My mind never rests and very often i will wake up in the middle of the night with a new design, so now i jot them down then go back to sleep. Quite funny when i wake up as i canā€™t always read what i wrote as it will be random scribble or drawing - the policeman cosy came to me when i was asleep :smiley:

2 Likes