The humble aubergine

I wondered why that was no longer showing up in my favourites list! I have managed to grow the long, thin varieties here in an unheated greenhouse in Southern Scotland.

Tescos have also discontinued a lot of their organic range, which is very disappointing. If there was a local organic veg box scheme near me, I would use it. In the meantime, I will try to grow more in the garden. Wish we had a nearby farm shop, too. The best one is about 45 mins drive from here.

I donā€™t understand Tescoā€™s at all, why would they discontinue aubergines. I love those in Mousaka and Ratatouille.

1 Like

I love auberginesā€¦and Tesco are still featuring moussaka and stuffed aubergines on their recipe pages!
Unfortunately, the main ingredient in both is unavailable to buy at their storesā€¦

However, Sainsburys happily delivered a beautiful plump aubergine to me this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aubergines still available online it seems!
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=266344796

Maybe itā€™s just some stores that have stopped stocking it. My shopping comes from the Dumfries branch. ā€¦

Have just checked and they are now available again - havenā€™t been for a few weeks! Perhaps someone is reading this thread!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only recently started eating aubergines, much nicer than what I remember. Maybe itā€™s my age and taste buds changing. Iā€™m also trying new recipes as Iā€™m trying to eat less meat.
I only shop at Tesco if Iā€™m desperate.

1 Like

I now have 8 aubergine plants looking very smug with themselves in the polytunnel so fingers crossed for a bumper crop. If any one has any idea what to do with tomatillos Iā€™d love to hear them - they are flowering already so I should get some fruit at some point.

1 Like