A question for those of you that solder

I love soldering.
Ive asked a proper solder company about lead and lead free solder.
The general rule is if its next to the skin use lead free, anything else its recommended to use the leaded solder.
Ive recently made a diorama, its not meant for children, or a toy, just for decoration so it shouldnt be handled much. Ive used lead free silver solder on the diorama, but filling in ther corners is taking up alot of solder and would really like to use the leaded solder but I fell awful about it.

What do you know about the lead content of solder and can it make people ill?
Do you use lead free or leaded solder and why?

Im bumping thisincase solderers are reading today. I cant seem to just write the word bump, its not interesting enough.

Hi Grimm if there is a chance of a child getting hold of it or putting it in their mouths that would be a concern, can’t you fill in the corner gap with the material you are using, a small slither or piece then solder that in to fill, then file back if necessary.
Hope that’s helpful. :slight_smile:
Good luck

There is very little chance that anyone, children included, would be harmed by licking any of the soldered parts of my suncatchers which are enclosed in and held together with solder - which is 60% tin and 40% lead.
This is the best K grade solder and is recommended for use on copper foil. Other grades 50/50, 40/60 and leadfree are not recommended for copper foiling, and I can promise, from the odd occasion when I’ve used (and removed) other grades, does not look anything like as good.

I am pretty sure you would need to actually ingest the lead to have any effect whatsoever and it is very unlikely anyone would be able to eat your diorama without suffering other far worse medical complications :slight_smile:

I would also be far more worried about a child having access to something made of glass ( I assume that is what you are using the solder on), which can break than any problem with the lead.

In summary, sorry I do go on :), I would not dream of using lead free solder unless I was making something to wear, in which case I would. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
xxxxx
PS I presume you mean this http://folksy.com/items/5212101-Double-sided-easel-glass-Butterfly-Christmas-decoration
It’s lovely :slight_smile: and really effective

Thanks for your feedback. Its this diorama Im talking about

I have used lead free solder on the butterfly/christmas decoration as it doesnt take much, but the diorama edges are like long box spaces that I have to fill.

The diorama is meant for growns ups that still like the idea of a fantasy world and can imagine a sewinf afiry. Its certainly not for kids. Good point about the glass.
I would say in the listing its not for kids and say what its made of. At the moment its all lead free solder but its costing me a fortune. Guess i have to make a sensible informed decision.

1 Like

Oh and to add to my annoyances, I could have bought 2 and a half times the amount of lead free solder, as opposed to lead free SILVER solder, for the same price. Silly me, I really need to thik these things through. This could have helped me money wise.

I don’t fortunately have any need to use silver solder. I spend quite enough on the K grade as I do get through rather a lot :slight_smile:
Your diorama is very pretty. xx

I only use silver solder (jewellery) so I’m not much help but I wanted to say your diorama is beautiful.

Thanks @JOYSofGLASS and @Birdandmonkey for your nice comments.
Still havnt made my mind up what to do. Maybe spend a bit more money on this one by using the silver solder then rethink the next ones i make.