Advice on making a creature costume for halloween?

Hello. I’ve had the amazing idea of making a costume of one of these creatures for Halloween.
Only I’m not a creative crafty person, I’m a geek.
So I wouldn’t know where to start.
But then @folksycontent suggested that I could ask for advice on the forums. She has lots of good ideas like that.
So: What would people advise as the best way to make one of these:

?

Thanks in advance for any & all advice!
Doug.

2 Likes

Oh, I mean the big creatures, not the pig or the child. Although children are pretty scary, too. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Chicken wire and papier mache are your friends here, Doug.

It beats my childhood fancy dress outfit of a bin liner with holes cut into it for my head and arms, a witches hat and of course a giant pumpkin which very quickly became too heavy and someone else had to carry it.

Though- bin liners might help you here for some of it!!

2 Likes

First slaughter your cow… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I made a similar shaped dragon mask once using papier mache and cardboard over a pear shaped balloon.
But as Camilla said chicken wire may be easier.
Show us a pic when you’re done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another vote for paper mache here :slight_smile: I’ve made lots of animal heads (used to produce pantos) and we had all sorts of animals to create - I prefer using a balloon or a cardboard frame base (old cereal box cut into strips and taped into a base) - and would always recommend a strip of upholstery foam around the inside of the crown both for comfort and for keeping the head in place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paper mache would be easiest for the head, for the rest the bin liners as someone suggested or if you need it to be more comfortable (if you’re going to a party rather than just trick or treating) then a black sheet or black dress lining material (sheets and lining material were the starting point for many party/school play costumes when my 2 were younger)