Applying for a craft fair- any tips?

Hello!

I’m applying for a craft fair this week, and have spent quite a bit of time researching making applications via the folksy blog, and I wondered if anyone had any tips about applying for craft fairs generally? All advice much appreciated!
Teresa x

All I can advise is to do your research. There are unfortunately a lot of organisers out there looking to make a quick buck who just want the table fees and don’t really care about the stallholders (some good ones too). Make sure the fair is likely to get good footfall and is well advertised. If possible visit the fair or at least the location prior to committing. Find out how much large your pitch will be and whether you will be required to provide your own table(s). Remember also that most fairs these days require you to have PPL insurance.

1 Like

It’s always a good idea to visit the fair before booking if possible - or contact other stallholders that have been there previously - to check that the expected visitors are your target market and that the fairs are well-advertised and well-attended. There’s little point in spending money on fairs that attract the wrong type of customer for your products, so a bit of homework can save you money, time and disappointment.

1 Like

I always ask what their promotion strategy is going to be, how many other stalls selling similar items to mine they will allow, how much space i get, whether a table and power point is included, what the footfall at previous events has been like, whether everything has to be hand made or if resellers are allowed.
If it is a juried event make sure you send good photos of a wide selection of items and a link to your shop and social media streams. And if you have one a photo of your stall at a previous event send that as well - if organisers know that your stall looks good you are more likely to get an eyecatching spot.
Good luck.
Sasha

1 Like

My number one tip would be to visit the craft fair before hand.

1 Like

We’re going to be talking about exactly this on Twitter hour soon, Theresa.

Tuesday, 1 September
What makes a good craft fair?

Tuesday, 8 September
GUEST EXPERTS
Tips for selling at craft fairs and markets

Hopefully you’ll be able to pick up some tips there, although if you’re applying now it might be too late. I would say make sure you have good photos of your work and pick the right show for your products.

2 Likes

Thanks Camilla.

Folksy hour always comes in useful! If I get a place at the fair the second topic will be perfect.

Teresa

@ciesse @millyandpip @SashaGarrett @Rozcraftz
Thanks for all your advice, it’s very helpful!
I’ve only done one fair before and the promotion was awful, so I’ve decided to apply for a fair which I’ve been to and follow on social media as well so I know what they are like and that they promote well. Fingers crossed I’ll get a place, the competition looks tough!
Teresa x

If you do get a place, a couple of other tips I have are:
Have a ‘comments plus email’ notebook with a pen attached on your table, so that you can get potential customer contact details (only if they add them, don’t ask them to add them)
Make sure that your table has some raised display stands, so everything is not all on one eye level.
Share FB posts etc and chat to the fair organisers on social media, this is a great way to promote that you’ll be there.
Get a high chair to perch on, so that when you are sitting you are nearer to eye level with your potential customers.
Good luck x

2 Likes

Get a high chair- very interesting concept Ali. Good idea, as if you sit at table level you don’t get seen. Of the few I’ve been at, I find standing up and looking at the items on your table can be a help. Sounds daft, but you might get mistaken for a customer and attract others go to see what is catching your eye…depends on locations and venue setup of course . I’ve only done small venues in the locality. I’ve one this Saturday in the village, and have taken on board display tips for risers I have picked up on forum so maybe better sales this time. Think they could have advertised more though… Wish me luck!! E. xx

1 Like

Since I have started building up a shelf along the back of my table which I put my busts on to display my scarves I have taken to using a high breakfast bar style stool, really because on a normal chair I became hidden. I have found it much better anyway as you can perch on it and stand up quickly and easily without being too intrusive and appearing to be jumping up!

1 Like

That’s interesting @Rozcraftz, I also take a tall folding bar stool with me. I’m quite short, so if I sit down on an ordinary chair no-one can see me, but my feet won’t take standing up all day.

I would also say that if you have the kind of craft you can do between customers then take something with you. It not only stops you staring at people constantly but it’s also a good conversation starter.

1 Like

It’s a great idea to do a ‘portable’ craft, I took small crochet things to get on with at the fair I did and people were interested. And stops you getting bored too if it’s a bit slow :smile:

Good luck! Please let me know how you get on!
Teresa x

Just wanted to let you all know I got a place at the craft fair! So thank you for all your advice… It definitely helped!
I’ll be at Folksy Hour on Twitter soaking up all the info on Tuesday !! @folksycontent :smile:
Teresa