Art chat thread ...May 2020

Lovely work everyone. Love the calligraphy over the watercolour @Dotkdesign.

2 Likes

another landscape from me today
https://folksy.com/items/7459347-original-art-landscape-painting-ref-F-135-

3 Likes

Here’s my offering today. I hope you are all having a good day.

1 Like

Love this but you google some and see what you really should be charging, you are dramatically under priced.

I completely take that on board James @Atlantaart but I have been in this game for a LONG time and I found that if I upped the price of my work I just didn’t get the sales…at low prices, I sell well.
It works out that I get more money that way, than waiting for an occasional elusive sale…I sold 7 paintings last week (sadly on the dark side) but as a pensioner I need a regular income not one sale per year…
I would love to get a higher price but I have tried over many,many years and not many sales that way…apart from which I paint every day and there would be nowhere to put all the paintings if I had to wait a long time to sell them.
Also most of them are small and 7x5 or aceos. I do 4 aceos at a time in less than an hour so theoretically , what I am doing is best for me in my circumstances and situation x

5 Likes

today’s painting
https://folksy.com/items/7459358-original-art-fantasy-purple-painting-ref-f-136-

2 Likes

I tend to agree with your philosophy on pricing Brenda @teabreaks. Trial and error will find a price point that you are happy with and more importantly, what will sell. I’m told I undersell myself too, but I do sell.
I am envious of the speed you paint at Brenda. I would be a lot quicker if I didn’t spend as much time looking at a painting to assess what’s “wrong” with it as I do painting it. I’m sure self-doubt goes with the territory and keeps our creative juices flowing. Very often, the paintings I am least happy with are the ones that sell fastest. Maybe it’s because my own dissatisfaction makes me knock a tenner off the price! :rofl:

2 Likes

LOL Chris @ChrisStoneArtist …years of trial and error here…I bung on the paint and see what evolves…My main problem is staring at a piece of blank paper and having no idea what I want to paint. It might be easier if I tried painting actual objects or local scenes like you do so well. !
And don’t forget I have no commitments other than sitting all day…(might do a bit of dusting once a year ha ha_…)
Sales can be strange…yesterday I sold a painting that was painted 5 years ago…so it has been to the Bay,the dark side and folksy many times, without a sniff…listed it yesterday…sold within minutes…ha ha…
On a good note, some might end up being shown on Cash in the attic or Bargain Hunt ha ha
Keep going, keep painting…and believe in yourself…you have the talent x

3 Likes

There was me thinking it would be easier and freer if I painted more from my imagination, like you do!
They all sell in the end don’t they? I just list everything now, even if my inner art critic tells me not too.

2 Likes

that is the right thing to do Chris @ChrisStoneArtist …and the joy of painting from memory is that there are no mistakes…as Bob Ross would say…“Happy Little Accidents!” ha ha…I can pop in a tree or a flower to cover bits that I don’t like…you are much more talented as you have to be accurate…well done to you !

2 Likes

a waterfall painting today
https://folksy.com/items/7459365-original-art-landscape-painting-ref-F-137-

2 Likes

hi all! Some beautiful work since i last dropped in!

I agree re the pricing thing… its so hard to get it right isnt it… theres a fine balance to be found… not sure I’ve found it yet lol

heres my newest piece listed today… i enjoyed painting this one… it was a birthday gift for a friends daughter… so i decided to list them as custom monograms

https://folksy.com/items/7467629-Floral-Personalised-Monogram-Original-Watercolour-

lovely work Emma @Dotkdesign …very delicate.

Today I have fantasy castles
https://folksy.com/items/7459374-original-art-fantasy-painting-ref-f-138-

2 Likes

Yesterdays painting, a beady eyed gull, mind your chips!
Watercolour.

3 Likes

I like the way you handle the paint to describe water.

1 Like

Here’s one of my hand made cards that I made last year.

1 Like

And here’s another one.

2 Likes

Is anyone else having trouble sourcing cotton watercolour paper? Everywhere I’ve tried for my normal go to arches or Langton prestige is out of stock :frowning: getting down to my last few pages now :scream::scream::scream:

Graham, these vultures come onto our patio every night and steal the food scraps that we put out for the badgers and foxes…and what a racket they make too !!

1 Like

@Dotkdesign I have always stockpiled all my supplies so my cupboard is full of all different sorts of art paper…if I get stuck before supplies are available again, I will resort to the mountains of canvas that I have never used… I am just coming to the end of the 100 x A3 sheets of watercolour paper that was a gift to me…but I still have two more wads of Langton 140lb 300gsm paper
Doesn’t Matthew Palmer have his cotton Paper available on the SAA website?
Have you tried ebay and Amazon

1 Like