Assaying jewellery

Washed and found,it is worth bearing in mind that it is an offence to strike your own marks in a straight line close together so they could be mistaken for hallmarks,space them out a little if you stamp your own.

1 Like

Washed and found,nice chasing and repouse on the earings.

1 Like

Sasha,for some ,not all of your work cookson gold do 1mm letter punches cheap.

@DeborahJonesJewellery thanks very much for the recommendations. And thanks again for all the info. It’s all making a lot more sense now :slight_smile: you’ve been very helpful!

@aldensallsorts thanks for the advice about how to stamp your marks, I wouldn’t have know this at all. You’ve obviously been doing this for a long time judging by your designs :slight_smile: great work!

Washed and and found,google London assay office,all you need to know on their site.

1 Like

I’ve finally got my makers mark!! Not long after this discussion I went ahead and registered with the London assay office. My punch just arrived today, so I can punch my own pieces, yay! but more importantly can have them assayed if need be in the future, it’s all very exciting! :grinning:

2 Likes

Exciting Suzanne , good for you!

1 Like

It’s great when you see your mark for the first time,practice on a few bits of scrap though first as you can get results that range from hardly an impression to going through the other side of thin metal,a matter of knowing how hard to clout the punch.You may also want to get a junk box of bits of Steel,Brass etc to support your metal when striking the mark.

Oh and you need to do a bit of editing on your shop as you now have a registration.

Thanks for the advice! editing on the to do list! :grin:

I need to rant, I have just received a packet back from assay -over ÂŁ2000 worth of stock stamped with the wrong maker mark!
I always left my punches with them for fear of losing them in my untidy workshop - but will rethink it now.
I wonder who MRK is and whether their work now has my mark on!

Oh !#*!. What are you going to do? Obviously complain to them and ask for compensation but is there anything that can be done to rescue your work?

I don’t think I can do anything , I have a show in two weeks and just need to finish them.
They are stamped deep so would need filling, and there are other solder joints involved so not really an option.
I probably wouldn’t have noticed , but had a few bits laser marked so was looking closely.
Funnily enough the laser marked bits have the right marks, but so shallow that by the time they are polished they will have almost vanished.
Grrrrrrrr :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no, that’s awful, your work is so lovely :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

I have to agree with the laser marking, it is really shallow. So sorry this has happened to you xx

1 Like

just saw that, that is awful !! all that work, how could they get it wrong - that’s a bit poor, I’d be completely p***** off. Did you inform them of the mistake , if so what did they say?

Hi Suzanne, I did get straight on to them, and sent most of the work back , they somehow miraculously filled the marks with silver and restamped - completely invisible repair . Apparently the punches used were eg nr 56771 and mine were 567714 so human error was the problem when they took the punches off the rack -it shouldn’t be able to happen if you send the punches in with the work.

1 Like

Im glad they could put it right, but not great you had to send it all back. I will definitely hang on to my punch :slight_smile:

1 Like