Character count in shop discription

Hi All
I hope you are all are having a super day, so I went to list somthing today (still trying :thinking: )
I typed in my discription and added images etc, went to preview listing button and get this error about the number of characters in my discription
Character count
but when I copy and paste into a text document the character count is 1469 so short of the 1500

maximum number, so now can’t go on to the next step and not sure how to save this as a draft, any ideas please

UPDATE: just deleted the first line of discripton, and it worked, but does not explain why I’m within the max number of characters it will not accept it!

1 Like

Copy paste your text into a notepad and remove half of it then save listing. Then edit your text to remove a bit more and copy paste it back

1 Like

Thanks Joy, just deleted the first line and it worked
Any ideas that when you in your dashboard, click on listings and there is Manage Listing,
Manage listing
there is a Draft section, so how do you save into draft to edit later

Cheers Steve

Hold on will test something …

Right…
If you creating a new listing from scratch then it will save it in draft as long as you hit Preview button at the bottom
If you are creating listing by copying another one (I ALWAYS do this which is why i had to check what happens creating from scratch) it will save it in draft as long as you have copied it. It will not save any changes you make though unless you hit the Preview button.

If you have created from scratch and not hit preview it will not save it anywhere, draft or otherwise

1 Like

That’s so kind Joy to check that out, I try that next time I list
Many thanks :+1:

Steve

1 Like

It’s because of the slightly odd way the character count works.
On Folksy new lines count as a character (in fact I think they’re actually counted as 2 characters) but word processors don’t normally count new lines at all in their character count, so I can make quite a discrepancy if you have a lot of new paragraphs in your description.

And yes as Joy says, the preview button also acts as the save as draft button, there are just certain fields that need to be filled in before the preview button will work, which is why it can be easier with a copied listing because they’ll all have something in already.

3 Likes

Hi Kim
Thank you for explaining it, it did cross my mind about the new lines/paragraphs might add to the count
Cheers Steve

Ah that’s handy to know @konyskiw, I often go over the maximum character count and have to amend my description to make it fit but sometimes find it difficult losing words so next time will try it without using as many new lines or paragraphs.