Dementia Dilemma

I just wanted to give you all an up-date…I took the dog to the vets and he has an ear infection, skin infection, fleas and was a whopping 46kg (for a cocker spaniel) I’ve got all his medication and have taken him to my home. As upset as my relative was, I know this is best for the dog as she won’t be able to give him his medication and clean his ears. We’re getting him comfortable and in 2 weeks time he’s having a biopsy on his lumps and bumps then we’re going to evaluate where to go from there.
I’m focusing on making him as happy as possible for the time I’ve got him, lots of little strolls, healthy food, and getting rid of those horrible infections!

6 Likes

So happy to hear that you are getting things under control - 46kg blimey

awww so glad you are sorting him out. Spaniels do get lumps mother’s got a big one on her neck but the vet took it off and it was fine.

Hope the little doggies are just the same and only require removal.

Well done Hanna - Mae. You’ve done a grand job doing that.

He’ll probably be feeling a lot better when he’s had all of his medication and a little bit of love and care from yourself.

You did the right thing and I hope that you are getting much more support off your other family members.

2 Likes

It’s good to hear that the doggy can be treated and is being well looked after. Is your relative coping with not having him at home? quite often people with dementia can forget things so quickly, others may focus on things more. I recently watched a video on fb about dementia and alzheimer sufferers having dolls or other cuddly toys to focus on. A lot of people in the comments mentioned their own relatives that had dolls or other items and it had been a huge success and a great comfort.

1 Like

My mother has got dementia too, and she has lots of different soft toys animals/dolls which she feeds ! They give her great comfort …she treats them like her children …x

1 Like

My daughter’s grandma in law was a lovely lady and absoluely adored her siamese cat which she lost a couple of year ago. She herself died very recently but for the last year, since she has been quite demented, she had been greatly comforted by a realistic looking (Not real cat fur) Siamese cat they bought for her. She was quite happy that it was the real thing. Worth considering something along those lines.

My Mum had a breathing cat toy by Perfect Petzzzz.
It’s battery operated and is lying down in a little bed, sleeping. You can see it breathing and it made a slight purring noise. I used to put it on her lap when I would go and visit her. I don’t really know if it gave her any comfort as she was too far into her Azheimers by then, but I hope that it did help her.
There were also lots of cuddly toys in her room for her to hold onto and there were a lot of people in the home that would walk around with toys and dolls.
Some ladies would feed the dolls and it was so lovely to see the happiness it brought them. Cuddly toys and dolls obviously did bring a great comfort.

My dear mum who, as some of you may remember, died last year, had a teddy bear, he used to take a right bashing some days, and other days he would have lots of cuddles.

I still have him :cry:

2 Likes