"I love you to the moon and back" has now been trademarked

I was birn in 1979 and when i was about 4yrs old my mother read me some book with that saying in it.I do not remember the name of the book.But this memory is very vivid as my mom would always finish the book by saying i love you and when i responded i love you too she would say how much? And i would say to the moon and back and we would both giggle.Over the years I would sometimes remember that and suddenly in the past few years I have seen it everywhere.My mom has since passed away so it chokes me up seeing it sometimes.But yes, there was indeed a book with that phrase it way before whatever is popular now.

I wonder if the unorthodox version has been copyrighted too? :joy::joy::joy:

Sam x

Itā€™s a bit strange as the wording in the book is
" I love you right up to the moonā€¦and back", so I love you to the moon and back isnā€™t the same!! Everyone I know says the second!!

Saw it on Valentines cards in Tesco yesterday, no mention of copyright on the back

Am I alone in thinking no-one should ā€˜ownā€™ words put in a certain order and be excluding everyone else in the world from using them? Crazy capitalist world we live in. Yes, I know Iā€™m trying to make money from my craft but Iā€™m not trying to stop anyone else from burning flowers and birds and insects onto bits of wood - try it people, itā€™s fun!

2 Likes

My comment here is not useful or even relevant to this thread in any way but I just thought I would mention that I really dislike the phrase ā€œLove you lots, like Jellytotsā€ I donā€™t think anyone is making work with that phrase on though - lol!
It just reminds me of a Mummy/ Daughter duo when I used to take my boys to primary school and they used to do this little performance every morning at the school gate! It could have been sweet but Mummy always made sure other Mummyā€™s could hear her little darlingā€™s declaration of love - it was just a bit smug!

ā€œLove you to the Moon and back thoughā€ - like others, I was sure it had been around forever! I donā€™t remember reading this book with my boys though but I had noticed a huge amount of work using this phrase. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve still seen some recently, so people must still be unaware of the trademark or maybe they donā€™t care! It does seem a little bit odd that they can trademark something that they didnā€™t actually write - just something similar!

:rofl:
Iā€™m with you on the smug parent scenario! Ewwwā€¦!

If you were a writer you would have a different opinion on that :slight_smile: It takes hard work to write prose or poetry or song lyrics - even advertising phrases - why would it be fair that someone could work at that but have everyone else make a profit from it? Itā€™s no different to designing a character, or a logo - itā€™s still someoneā€™s brain child. And writing isnā€™t as easy as people thing - if it was, no-one else would want to be cashing in all of the time by using other peoplesā€™ words.

However, so far as ā€˜I Love You to the Moon & Backā€™ goes - I was surprised when it was trademarked, as it wasnā€™t created by the people trademarking, with many people saying they had commonly used the phrase many years before the book was published. However, it has been trademarked, so we have to abide by the law so far as using the phrase goes.

1 Like

@HelenSmith there is no longer copyright on the song Happy Birthdayā€™. It is now in the public domain so everyone can sing it ā€˜to their heartā€™s contentā€™, but not me with my singing voiceā˜ŗ

2 Likes

How about ā€œI love you to the Earthā€™s Natural Satelliteā€¦and Backā€?
Or there are lots of other planets, constellations and ā€˜moonsā€™.
Personally I think the phrase has been a little overused.

1 Like

The same people have also trade-marked

ā€œWeā€™re going on a Bear Huntā€

Hi Zoe, I know you posted this a long time ago but in 2007 I couldnā€™t find the music for this anywhere, so wrote it myself in the key I thought it could be sung at.
You can find the notes online now!!!
Sue

1 Like

" I love you for 238,900 miles and Back"
:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I think I might get away with ā€˜I love you to the spoon and backā€™?

6 Likes