"I love you to the moon and back" has now been trademarked

It’s been on a few FB groups I’m on but haven’t seen anything mentioned here so thought I’d give the heads up.

Walker Books have trademarked the saying so you will need to obtain their permission to use it or risk their wrath if they find you. I can’t believe they obtained the Trademark myself seeing as it’s been a popular saying for many years, but there you go.

Details here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU012669701

3 Likes

Really??? How ridiculous! Oh well, that’ll be half the items on here breaching copyright then :smile:

I must admit, it’s so over-used now, they’re probably doing us all a favour.

1 Like

How about “I love you to the stars and back” lol

4 Likes

How daft!! Do you know who actually owns the trademark? @BigBirdLittleBird? We should have a competition for the next best replacement saying - how about ‘I love you to the big white silvery thing in the sky and back…’ :smile:

9 Likes

Walker Books own it, off the back of their bestseller “Guess How Much I Love You?” book.

Trade marks really annoy me as they can only be afforded by large organisations and very rich people to restrict the freedom of creatives, who can’t afford to copyright their own work and so have it stolen by the same organisations. It is an entrenchment of the status quo and favours corporations over individuals. I feel somewhat the same about hallmarking of gold and silver. For everything else that is sold in shops people are covered by consumer protection regulations to ensure that things are what they say they are. Marxist rant over-back to normal now :relieved:

8 Likes

I think it’s fair enough. If I’d been the one who wrote “Guess how much I love you”, I’d be pretty fed up if loads of people were using my words as if they were some traditional saying, just as I think anyone selling their work on here would be upset if somebody copied them…

4 Likes

Oh the irony…

I think the issue for some is that they are claiming their parents and grandparents used to say it, so it is a traditional saying. Google throws up examples of it being in use prior to the book being printed.

It’s like the Tardis - it’s a Trademark owned by the BBC but they didn’t design the Police Box.

1 Like

Aww that’s ridiculous! Words being trademarked!

Aww but with the Tardis it’s the word where as you can have use police box and give no reference to Dr Who.

That’s interesting…

I certainly don’t remember hearing or reading it anywhere before about 5 years ago, when it seemed to suddenly start appearing everywhere, so I doubt it was ever a ‘traditional saying’. There were similar sayings, with the same meaning, but not this exact one.

With the current trend for text on everything, many people are breaching copyright by using book quotations, music lyrics etc. They should only really be used commercially if the source document is out of copyright (unless of course you have permission from the owner).

What shall I rename this to ? Suggestions please.

Love you to the Moon Heart Stained Glass Suncatcher Rainbow Valentine ?

Question : When did the copyright come into force. If I used it before that date how can I be in breach. How ridiculous eveything is becoming. I can remember the expression from when my granddaughter was a tiny baby and she’s 7 now.

Interesting that they don’t seem to have trademarked it in class 14 (jewellery). There are many people on here, and other places using it for jewellery, and I guess they are still free to do so? :heart:

According to the document above, it was filed in March 2014, so you should be ok if you can prove it was made before then, Joy @JOYSofGLASS .

How about ‘Moon of Love’ ?

3 Likes

The book was published in 1994, I remember it from when my eldest was young and he just turned 21. It was a big hit and the saying was everywhere very quickly, can’t say I remember the saying from my childhood. Mind, it just wasn’t the sort of thing that was said back then :wink:

the book was published in 1994 so they have taken a very long time to trademark the saying.

But it’s only fairly recently that people have been making money from copying it.

Let’s hope nobody copyrights the phrase “I love you” or “Happy Birthday” !

4 Likes