MACARME - New here and in need of advice PLEASE

Hi, new to forum.
I’m wanting to make a Wall Hanging for my granddaughter for all her hair accessories. I’ve found a couple of ideas but haven’t been able to find a pattern to help me create it, so I’m hoping someone here can help.
Here are the ideas I’m looking at wanting to do, any help on what KNOTS have been used or patterns would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Look up MACRAME tutorials on YouTube, on Pinterest, on Google and see if you can find what you need.
You’ll probably have to work a lot of it out yourself unless you can find an actual pattern to follow.

I found this beginners guide to macrame which has a guide to different knots and some (free) patterns

1 Like

In reply to both replies, thank you both. And have spent over a week doing both of your suggestions, found lots of knots, learnt and practiced, that’s where I found these designs. Unfortunately, they didn’t include patterns.

There are some nice free patterns here: 30 free macrame patterns | Gathered

I just Googled “free macrame patterns” and loads came up. I’d also search in YouTube and Pinterest, there’ll be tons there too :two_hearts:

If the photos don’t include patterns, that may be because the artist has spent hours designing and creating the item and they would only make money if you bought THEIR item rather than copying it…just a thought.

I certainly don’t tell people MY trade secrets. If they like what I make, they can buy it. If they want to have a go at making it themselves, they can also do that hard work of working it out themselves. I’m not going to make it easy for them to copy me!!!

3 Likes

You could try contacting the artists whose photos you’ve shared, and ask whether they have a tutorial for that pattern or something similar. Otherwise you’ll have to continue on your creative journey until you’ve learned enough of the basics to be able to figure out a design of your own - a week isn’t long in terms of learning a craft, so don’t be discouraged! (I haven’t done macrame in absolutely ages so I am no help at all in working out what knots have been used in these. I just remember that I always found I needed the string to be waaay longer than I thought!)
Or you could purchase or commission something from a maker - I’m sure there must be Folksy shops that have macrame items, maybe one of them would be able to make what you wanted?

3 Likes

I agree with other sellers that you shouldn’t try to copy another artists work, if you are looking at the items for inspiration that’s great but I wouldn’t copy what someone else has designed. I do however hope you have found some good tutorials and are enjoying practising and designing one of your own, you tube is apparantly brilliant for learning new crafts so i’m sure there will be plenty of help available.

From the website/ link I included earlier, scroll down to item number 15: macrame dream catcher - you’d need to leave out the bit in the middle but the fringing looks very similar to one of the images you posted.