Non-Payment and Customers Changing Their Minds

That would be your choice, but as you may know, we don’t have cosy chats with Admin in the Etsy forums.

3 Likes

Won’t they still have to pay online? Or does Etsy offer alternative payment methods, such as cheques? I’ve never had a sale notification on there without payment.

You can have alternative payment methods Christine @ciesse. x

1 Like

I am happy with things as they are. I have only had one sale that said it was still ‘awaiting payment’. I emailed them and they paid. They had just not completed the payment process correctly so were glad I contacted them. Without that first email I wouldn’t have known about it and would have missed the sale.
I know to expect 2 emails from Folksy and one from Paypal before I can be sure of a sale. I don’t have any issue with this as know this is the process.

Kim
x

7 Likes

What do you mean ‘don’t actually want to shop on-line’? Oh, you obviously mean 'don’t want to pay on-line. Two totally different things. My customers want to shop on-line but pay in a way that they are comfortable, the system is working fine as it is, I see no point replacing no problem with a problem. It might not be a problem for you, but would be enough of a problem for me to send me (and my commission) packing xxx

2 Likes

Thanks Kelly @tagpress - I didn’t realise that. I obviously have it switched off, as I don’t really want to be doing with cheques etc., especially from overseas!

Sara, Royal Mail will not cover my items for damage as they are considered “glass”. Neither will any of the popular couriers. I have been on Ebay since 1998 and have always used PP as my processor. That is, gulp, 17 years, The old fashioned way for me has always been PP when selling online.

1 Like

That’s fair enough - it suits you. I sell paintings and wooden painting signs - they are covered with RM, and that suits me :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did too Christine @ciesse. Even if your language is set to English UK, the payment methods still show as Check, Money Order. I’ve had people before now who are from International Countries select Check and of course I’d only accept Cheques from UK customers. That’s the reason mine was left to PayPal only. I think they should fix that to Cheque & Postal Order. x

James

I would hate it if you removed the original order notification. At least one order out of 10 comes through with just that. I then chase and usually find that they’ve done something like tried to go back to change a postcode or a registered address on Paypal and have No Idea that they haven’t then made the payment.
As it is my customers are happy with my explanation and we sort out between us how the payment can be made. I’m pretty sure that 905 of my “unpaid” orders would be lost if I lost the notifification and therefore the ability to follow up.

Out of the 1304 orders I’ve had I’ve only had 2 who have changed their minds and not paid. That’s a pretty fine record.
So please… don’t remove it.

PS: I’ve reread what you have written and the assumption seems to be that non-payment is generally because the customer has changed their mind. My ‘temporary’ non-payments are nearly always caused by the fragility of the link between Folksy and Paypal especially when done via an Ipad. Lots and lots of examples of this.
So James a repeated plea… please do not remove the notification email. I would hate to lose any of my lovely customers who would be most displeased if they didn’t receive either the glass they thought they had ordered or any message from me.

11 Likes

customers should know if they’ve paid online or not - as surely they get an e-mail from paypal saying they have paid online??
if the e-mail doesn’t arrive, wouldn’t they then assume they haven’t paid? every time i buy online using paypal i get an e-mail from paypal.

Sally It doesn’t matter if they should or shouldn’t know.
If they don’t realise and as a result they don’t receive something they think they have ordered they will not be back to my shop and quite possibly to Folksy.
It takes 7 times as much effort to regain a lost customer as it does to gain a new one.
I don’t want to lose any of my customer, just because they may not be quite as computer savvy as the world would like them to be. Not everyone checks their emails on even a daily basis.

5 Likes

hi there -
what are the mistakes people make when paying with paypal & why do they think they’ve ordered when they haven’t?
is it do with e-mail address or other info. ?

:smile: Absolutely

1 Like

Here’s one a customer of mine had last week:
“just had to update my billing address with paypal, so don’t know if they need to verify it before the payment is processed” -
and of course the payment didn’t come through because by the time the address was verified the Folksy / Paypal link was long broken !

4 Likes

I don’t think there is any intention of removing the order notification. Just that there will be no actual order unless the payment has gone through.

I’m sure that the new and improved Folksy ordering system will pop up an error page to let the customer know if their order hasn’t gone through and what to do from there. That’s the way all other sites do it.

The current disconnect between Folksy and PayPal is more confusing for customers as they receive an email from Folksy saying ‘Thanks for ordering!’ … even though the order is incomplete.

2 Likes

To quote James’ original post: “We’ll look at amending the order notification so that you only get notified on payment”. so the intention is exactly that, to remove the order notification unless it’s paid for…

1 Like

Yes exactly! Sellers receive an email only when they’ve actually sold something. Brilliant idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No! I could get exasperated but will try not to (takes deep breath). As others have pointed out, often an item IS sold, but there has been a glitch with payment, or another payment method is preferred. How are we supposed to contact the buyer and iron out any issues, and arrange payment, if we are not notified of a sale? I consider something sold as soon as a buyer reaches checkout, not only when it is paid for. Like other sellers, in my experience, 95% of the buyers who stall at checkout DO want the item, and a quick message from me sorts out the problem they were having. I’m going around in circles here, and believe I have made my opinion clear, so will leave it there.

Just in case there is any confusion @JamesB I do not want any changes, I fear they would lose me and other sellers lots of sales and Folksy lots of commission. Why people are making a big deal out of an order not being an order is beyond me. Any seller, can add to their descriptions, that they expect immediate payment by paypal and will cancel any order after a certain time has passed if it remains unpaid - simple. A big fuss over nothing, no-one is losing sales…yet! But if these changes take place…

5 Likes

agree :smile:
a sale is where money has been exchanged. i don’t see how it can be classed as ‘sold’ if it hasn’t been paid for.
as james said "Paying is the key act of conversion"
if folksy send an error message to customer then the customer can try again andif a customer is knowledgeable enough to use paypal/the internet they should be able to handle this.

3 Likes