Product photography crits - put your product shots up for review!

LOL Natalie…I think that if I got down, I would need to phone for help…strangely no pain at all just not much mobility in my knees and wrists that don’t bend…hopefully my brain is still working well…lol…

1 Like

@teabreaks Well your brain is working well, as are your very talented artistic hands, just stay off the floor!

xxx

Brilliant explanation and tips all the way through this thread, Sasha. Amazing!

Here are some more examples that might help explain how the cropping works @teabreaks.

This is an ACEO that’s been photographed with some props to make a ‘landscape’ shaped image rather than a square. The seller has uploaded the original photo and it displays like this in the listing:

When the image is displayed in shop view, search results or gift guides etc, it is automatically cropped to a square (we don’t do it manually - it’s just a software thing). The same pic of the ACEO looks like this when it’s displayed in those views as a square:

Because the actual ACEO is placed in the central part of the image, it works really well both on the listing and seen in the square window. It’s a clever way to get around the whole ‘how to fit a rectangular artwork in a square window’ problem :slight_smile:

This is another example showing an ACEO displayed in a frame, and how it looks in the actual listing and in other views.

The original photo of the ACEO portrait (which is a photographed in an upright rectangular frame with the glass taken out):

How it looks in the square window in the ‘Collections’ section of her shop:

Here’s Sian’s shop if you want to see more examples https://folksy.com/shops/siansburys

Hopefully that helps a bit too. Maybe the whole cropping thing needs a blog post to explain more? Maybe you could write it, Sasha? :wink:

2 Likes

@folksycontent The OH is away next week - I’ll write your blog post if you send me food parcels.
Its also tempting to try out some of the macro photography hacks as I think those could be useful to people, I have to photograph lots of tiny things so have a macro lens but for all those who only produce the occasional small thing having a cheaper way of getting good photos might be appreciated.

2 Likes

@SashaGarrett Thank you for your advice Sasha, sorry to take so long to reply I have been working out preparing myself for my squat photography challenge! :smile:

thank you Camilla

I have just opened my shop and have listed a few of my brooches not sure of the photo’s I’ve spent a while looking at different backgrounds tried some outside looked washed out and also plain backgrounds getting a lot of glare. Here’s the recent one’s I am thinking that my creations are all around flowers plants herbs trying to keep the theme but maybe I’m complicating the whole thing. Not sure they look punchy enough. I like to use old flower books which is generally the inspiration behind a lot of my embroidery. Also prices bearing in mind the processes involved?

Here’s another couple

I think that the sort of lady who is going to like your brooches might get put off by a punchy photo prefering the softer image that you’ve produced but assuming that you’ve met a few of your customers at craft fairs you probably know better than I do on that one. I know why you’ve choosen the books as a background but my first thought was ‘ooooh embroidered bookmarks’ but that is seeing them in isolation without the listing title or having done any searches to find them. The final image doesn’t have that effect as there is no text and the illustration frames the piece nicely. Maybe fabric scraps/ embroidery threads would give a suitable back ground without the glare? (adiffuser is also good for sorting that out) Given the sizes quoted in the listings I would want to see the brooch pinned to a lapel or similar as a secondary photo so that I could judge the size and how it would look on me.
Not sure if that is of any help at all - good luck with it.
Sasha

Thank you Sasha for your reply yes I must admit that I need to show the brooches pinned on as well. They are large to be seen brooches! Thank you for the feed back I will endeavour to get it right some how.
Jayne

They are very pretty, but I also thought at first glance that they were book marks. I think the creams and light colours are very complimentary and look cohesive.
Ali

Sorry didn’t see your reply Ali as I have been trying to improve my photo’s but have changed them to a white background. I must be honest I had to walk away for a while which I do think for me helps. I am still not happy with them and think I need to go with my heart and restyle them in a few days I am busy creating to keep me sane at the moment but thank you for your feed back appreciate it.

1 Like

I’ve had my shop open for only a little while, but I am not at all happy with what images I’ve taken so far. Today it occurred to me what I could use for set dressing and so I decided to have a go on a new item I have listed.

What do you think? It is difficult to get colour accuracy too, but I have managed to get an image that looks pretty good.

I would love some feedback on my photos. This one is probably too cluttered?
https://folksy.com/items/6979910-Wedding-favour-rose-vintage-stained-glass-with-silver-stain-bridesmaid-gift

I want a bit of a poll going… Are my pics better on white background on its own, or with other items. Or out in nature?

Pic 1

Pic 2
Pic 3

Quite new to Folksy, getting views but no sales yet - welcome tips on seo’s, photos, pricing etc. Heres a few samples. I find it hard to work out how to do some stuff on Folksy, it doesnt always seem to be obvious and i have to search around. maybe thats just me!
https://folksy.com/items/7021036-Sleeping-mouse-in-a-nest-Needle-felted-mouse-
https://folksy.com/shops/FleetFootedHare/collections/266889
https://folksy.com/items/7022937-Night-light-Felt-Fairy-House-LED-candle-cover
https://folksy.com/items/7021045-Pin-cushion-Hedgehog-Needle-felted-pin-cushion

I was advised that photographing on white background is the best product shot, though this is a little boring compared to a ‘out in nature’ shot - it does however make the product stand out. I was also advised to avoid shadows, like you get in nature shots. I think photographing your main product amongst other products could be a bit confusing and distracting. I’d have to say that shot 1 (the funky shoes!) is probably the clearest and most professional looking pic for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’d love some feedback on my stationery photos. I show the card flat for the main photo and standing upright for a secondary picture. The pen and stamps are props and are not included.

1 Like

Hello! I’m new to Folksy & like lots of you by the looks of it, photography is not my favourite task! I’m struggling with light, background, and my crappy equipment… could some of you have a quick look at my few listings & offer some advice (one is here)? The main photos are taken on the external wall of my house, all my internal walls are woodchip wallpaper and therefore disgusting! Thank you in advance…

1 Like

I like the last shot, in the nature. There are so many white background photos… something with a bit of colour is more interesting, to me anyway.

1 Like