What is wrong with my shop?

When I first set up some of my listings I really don’t think there was the option to add tags, everything just seemed to be themed by colour (it was one of the things I really didn’t like about it compared to ETSY).

I was alerted that I needed to re-categorise all my listings at one stage, but nothing to tell me that there was now an option to add in tags to listings that were set up quite a long time before, then renewed. That might certainly explain why things aren’t showing up and why my shop isn’t showing up in searches properly. I don’t know how I missed the option to add tags with new items, but I probably wasn’t expecting the option plus my head sometimes now just blank out whole sections on pages.

Thanks for your reply, it’s helpful to know that it’s not just me finding it hard work :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that your illness has been so bad for you that you are struggling even now with painkillers. I can appreciate how hard it must be to run a business whilst feeling in pain. The advice given does reflect advice that has been given to others on other threads, so please don’t feel there was any intention to upset you in any way.

Unfortunately we shop owners on here are in a competitive environment, and what customers expect is the very best at all times. Would it help maybe flagging any new listings with a friend to see if they could help with wording or whatever on the days you are struggling?

Folksy also host #folksyhour on twitter (Tues at 8pm) and we do talk about all sorts, and it’s well known that many of us struggle with the time to make as well as the marketing side of running a business. That’s why I posted a link to the Folksy Blog as that may help use what time you have for social media in a focused way to get the best out of it.

Running a small business is tough, but you do have such lovely items in your shop that I’m sure would sell well, once people got to know about it more via social media. All the best.

5 Likes

Folksy didn’t announce the return of tags very well and it caught a lot of people by surprise (apparently tags were on here once but before I opened my shop), I don’t remember them announcing when it went from 5 to 15 tags either so not realising that tags were available is completely understandable regardless of whether or not your on medication. There is a thread on the forum where people can request suggestions of tags for listings if they are having a mind blank about what to put just in case you need a bit of help.
Sasha

1 Like

I think you will find Camilla @folksycontent was pointing out the same things to you as @StephanieGuy was trying to do.

6 Likes

I find Facebook works best when I post onto a group page (Folksy shop owners, British Crafters and some more local ones) my reach seems to jump dramatically and the local ones are particulaly useful for finding out about craft fairs which themselves can be a good place to advertise your folksy shop by giving out business cards (also gives people a chance to see for themselves the quality of your items)

I’ve had a look at a few of your etchings & they’re fab! But as folksy crops the first image to a square, most of your etchings are cropped down to only show small sections- which is a shame as you then have to click on the actual item to see more photos of what it really looks like- but I’d always assume the first image is the whole image if you know what I mean.

I’d also add in your descriptions how many they’re limited to. (And adding limited edition to the title may help) but in the description is says they’re limited to a certain amount, and that they’re signed and numbered, but not out of how many- and that would determine the price.
Often the more pieces you have the cheaper the print is as it’s less exclusive. So for say £200 (random number) I’d want a fairly limited print run. But for £20 say (again random number) I’d happily expect that there’s a lot more.
And then I’d obviously expect it to be cheaper again if someone did prints of the original.

Just a few thoughts. Lovely work though!

@moriarte
If you had read @StephanieGuy 's comment properly you would totally agree with what she said. She was very specific in using a £6 Valentine’s card which is lacking in information, but you have gone off on one about a different card. The description of the card Stephanie refers to says:
"Two little foxes snuggled together in a heart shape.

7" square card, 240 gsm cream card with matching envelope.

Blank for your own message"

Personally I think it’s you that has been rude.

6 Likes

I’m sorry you have health issuses but it’s not an excuse to be rude to someone who has taken time to look at your listing and give you some helpful advice.

If you don’t agree with her advice then the polite thing to do is thank them for their help and leave it at that.

I read this thread last night and it made me angry and I’m glad I didn’t comment then otherwise I might have ended up being less gracious in my comments.

But I do feel you were being extremely unfair and rude to Stephanie by accusing her of saying things she didn’t even say.

6 Likes

I know this thread has had its ups and downs but, from a personal point of you, I have found it very helpful and would like to thank all you contributors for your advice and explanations and for taking the time to do it!. And I will endeavour to apply it to my shop.
All the best, everyone !

7 Likes