Are Sales Slow for Everyone?

Orange brioche just out the oven! Plenty to go round. Is it just the 3 of us so far?

We could start with Spag Bol as that’s on the menu for tonight. Can easily make a bigger pot full. :slight_smile:

I was only trying to be part of the community for once and replying to ‘photofairytales’ contribution, which seems to have been accepted! I see the community has very regular people joining in! I stated quite clearly that I too love Folksy.com. Let’s hope it does become more well known in the future.

I will not be joining in again and I will keep plodding along alone.

Good luck to all for your Christmas sales.

3 Likes

Of course and I didn’t read your post any other way but I’m just trying to say that Social media has a place and Does help a shop get seen. A lot of my views and following sales come via media. For Folksy to promote on Google costs money. I have another shop and that one does pay for Google and SM promotion but in turn I pay them more for that service (But it doesn’t pay for TV ads as they are way out of the budget unless you are an E***)… I see M&S ads on TV but when I see an M&S ad on my Social media I sometimes, did it yesterday actually, click through to shop.
Folksy suits lots of us and obviously you too as you have lovely sales figures.
Do plod as you say on but on here too :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Of course you can join in no one is saying that. It is just for the money Folksy do well for us. I think we would all like more sales, who doesn’t but it has to be down to us as individuals to do what we can to promote our shops. If you join the expensive one then yes the money and commission you pay them expect them to do more but for £5 per month there is only so much that Folksy can do.

3 Likes

Please don’t plod on alone! One of the best things about Folksy is the fact that most of the community is supportive and empathetic. We usually respect one another’s views even if we don’t always entirely agree. I would probably have left by now without that. I hope things improve for you and all of us soon. Keep keeping on!:blush:

3 Likes

Thanks all, I will stop crying now. I am disabled and still isolating as Covid is still bad in Cornwall. Just getting me down and sales really boost my moral to keep going with life in general.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear that, it must be so hard. Sending you a big, big hug. Xx🤗

We all get down and this past 18 months has been pants. The increase in fuel is having some people panicking which is understandable. No one knows what is round the corner. Still think come late November things will improve as the feeling of Christmas takes over.

The good thing is being able to talk to each other, maybe useful tips in how to generate more customers to your shop etc.

Good luck to all of us.

1 Like

Please cheer up, your work is lovely. This forum is a lovely place to spend time and just to show you how everyone supports each other and how useful Social media can be and how easy it is to spread the Joy :

xxxx
PS Had an idea. You’ve been on Folksy for ages. It is about time you got your Star and front page slot as a featured seller. Can’t remember how you apply but @folksycontent Camilla will know :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Go for it. Pretty sure you will get inundated with orders if your lovely things are on the front page (and social media) for two weeks. xx

4 Likes

I tried, they turned down!

1 Like

Did they say why ? Seems rather unfair when lots of brand new sellers get a slot.
If it was something about your shop then ask here and we will see what we can do to help correct whatever is stopping you. xx

I agree with what you kindly say.

I was told my product photography was not professional enough! Yet I make the sales. One tanzanite and moonstone bracelet sold for £450.00 on Folksy.com! I had to have credit reference checks, references from boutique jewellers who sold my work and references from my materials supplier’s to be accepted by the 'National Association of Jewellers ’ (NAJ) using some terrible photography at the time. The NAJ are the uk’s leading authority within the jewellery industry and recognised by the GIA for running educational training programs with the GIA to became a fully qualified GIA gemmologist by using a University in London. It’s not a case of pay your annual subscription like other jewellery trade associations.

Being a member of the NAJ is very difficult to be accepted and I was thrilled when they notified me my work was good enough to be registered as a British Jewellery Designer/Craft Person.

4 Likes

I applied for something once, cannot remember what as sometime ago. Got my photos done by a professional photographer friend, qualified up to the hilt. Published work etc and got told my photos were not professional! Sent them his qualifications and features heard nothing!

I have never been a featured seller either, had been asked requested what they would like me to do as did not have a clue, silence.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and support. Some of my photos in my shop were done under supervision by a professional photographer who like yours has had his work published. I just don’t understand either how they can make a feature seller who has only just started selling on Folksy.com with only a few items for sale. Surely, they should be taking a look at their proven good seller’s who have excellent feed back from the general public first. I do my best within the limitations of my physical disability to take reasonable photos.

We try our very best to come across to the general public that some sellers on Folksy.com are professional and hard working and work full time to create beautiful unique products.

I am on the verge of giving up, but I invested over £85,000 in quality gemstones and, reputable UK findings from supplier’s based in Birmingham and London to start making my jewellery. It’s going to take years to use them all. According to the NAJ a large container of fack sterling silver findings slipped through customs without having being metal tested by the authorities. It’s even stamped as 925!

As for my designer yarn stocks, we’ll It’s stored everywhere in the house to stop it from all getting damp. Sore subject with my hubby! All the made up garments are stored in furniture in every bedroom!

I am currently taking a break making things as I had my Christmas present early on Tuesday. A nine week old cockapoo puppy. My work table in the kitchen has had to go in the garage for a few months so madam has plenty of room to play! Her collars and bows came from a Folksy seller. She looks adorable in her designer neckwear.

5 Likes

What a love thing to do for me. Bless you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am having a relaxing Saturday spending time talking to lovely people on this forum. I have never suffered from the blues before. I am usually a positive person.

I do feel better now.

God bless.

3 Likes

I see people spending all the time, restaurants, shops are rammed where I am. Only yesterday I was in Selfridges and it was manic. So, people do have money to spend and they will spend it. On E, I sell a lot, on here next to nothing, and all my sales on E are UK based. So, I can’t help but assume that Folksy is just not known as well as it should be after all this time. People are creatures of habit and tend to stick to what they know and are familiar with, be it a website interface or protocol. I get the feeling that a lot of sales on here are from other sellers. I check out the Folksy Twitter site every day and the likes and retweets are non existent compared to other places. I realise that Folksy is UK based, but we have a nation of millions, so what’s going wrong? I hate to say it but everyone I know, knows about E. Everyone I know has been educated about Folksy from me. I even have a sticker in my car!! I’d like to know what Folksy are doing to promote as well. Do they do press releases to newspapers and mainstream magazines? Radio shows? TV promotions? All those can be done for free. I know, because I’ve done them for myself when I was a professional dancer. All you have to do is contact the media and ask them if they’ll do an article about you, or offer you a promotional slot. Do they use influencers? Ask prolific bloggers to help promote?

And my prices are cheaper here. I promote Folksy everywhere, I place a folksy flyer in all my E sales packaging. I even enclose a note telling customers that my items are cheaper to buy on Folksy. And guess what? All my repeat sales are on E.

I’m on all social media. I have dozens of retweets for Folksy promotions. I promote on instagram, pinterest. I’ve even tried to encourage UK sellers on E to come here. I can’t really do anymore. I’m so close to packing it in, but the customer service here is second to none, and the fee structure is very fair and it’s a great little place.

It’s all very well us promoting ourselves on social media, that’s par for the course. Not everyone can do this. But when Folksy promotes Folksy, they are promoting for all of us.

But I’m beginning to feel “Why am I bothering? Could I double my sales in E if I funnel all my energies over there instead of over here?”

I dunno. It’s soul destroying sometimes.

Just to add, my sales on E picked up when they started adding the videos. Come on Folksy, give us a video option on here.

8 Likes

I buy all my birthday and Christmas gifts on sites like this. Not always Folksy, because sadly, I often cannot find what I want on here. But with sales so slow, it’s not surprising a lot of UK sellers are selling elsewhere.

1 Like

You made some very relevant points. So please don’t stop posting on here.

2 Likes