CE testing

Hi

I won’t be making toys but want to start making bunting some of which will be for children’s rooms, some may have little cloth “dolls” instead of flags.

Would this warrant needing a CE marking/testing?

Also if I was to make, for example, baby mobile with, say animals or hearts hanging, would this need testing?

Thanks

This might help
https://www.conformance.co.uk/adirectives/doku.php?id=handmadetoys
but the whole what counts as a toy is a bit of a grey area.

Thank you xx

I’ve never understood the ‘if it looks like a toy, then it is a toy’. Doesn’t your mum’s saucepan look like a toy when you’re 2? :thinking:

11 Likes

(that made me giggle @Knittingtopia - just between the two of us, * whispers * when i was little, i used to have hoooours of good games with all the medicine bottles lined up at the back of the kitchen bench.
…but it was the 70s, so i knew mummy’s valium was not intended as a toy and thus, i should not eat)

7 Likes

Remind’s me of that Simpson’s episode “Ew, Bart! That’s a black-head gun.” :joy::joy::joy:

Sam x

2 Likes

@Knittingtopia that’s funny, and very true!

I’ve emailed Conformance and they gave me a helpful reply.

Some things are a grey area it seems. Hmm.

1 Like

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this problem for years, it is something that has to be done on all items - Pick up a pack of pencil crayons and you will see the CE mark on the back. Many crafters just seem to ignore the rules but as I understand it the CE mark has to be on everything with few exceptions eg christmas decorations.
I contacted my local trading standards about some paper bunting and hanging ornaments and got a long email back about the dangers of choking hazards, its very off putting and there are many things I haven’t made because of it.
I will look at the Conformance link to see if this helps. Trading standards sent me lots of links but the info was confusing and although it said I had to it didn’t tell me how to test.