Collection Only

Does anyone else here have an option for collection on larger items, and is it allowed on folksy? I wanted to list some of my hand painted furniture but on the other platform I list as ‘collection only or arrange your own courier.’ Is this something I can do on Folksy does anyone know? Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

Never heard of it on here but one thing to bear in mind is insurance. If you are having so done coming to collect a piece your insurances needs to cover you. You also need to make it clear that the item is sold as seen in that condition. They are also responsible if a courier collects for any insurance if it gets damaged enroute.

1 Like

Yes. It’s been working fine on the other platform so far.

1 Like

If you can’t find the info on the Help pages, drop an email to Support and I’m sure they’ll be able to give you an answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

As an aside, if you haven’t already, you might want to check with your home insurer that your policy covers you for customers coming to your house or that it doesn’t invalidate your cover. Even if it doesn’t impact your cover, it’s always worth declaring it as a material fact so that you never have an issue if something comes up claims wise down the line.

I worked in the insurance industry for 30 years and am often embarrassingly cautious due to being a little jaded :laughing:

1 Like

We work from home so we have all the business cover in with it.

1 Like

Just to say though that I also work from home and have household insurance which covers that But I can’t have that cover if I have customers visiting my premises. Specifically had to state that does not happen.
A lot of brokers will Not cover home working at all. When we told Lloyds I was doing so they immediately cancelled all our household insurance and we had to search around to find brokers who do cover it… Albeit without visitor cover.

2 Likes

I don’t have it for any of my items but you can put collection only on your listings, you just can’t make it clear through the shipping section as collection isn’t currently a properly set up option on the site.

For anything collection only I’d make it completely clear in the item description and give a (vague) area so they know if it’s a reasonable distance for them to travel. I’d possibly also mention it in the title/have a collection only section in your shop so people can easily identify those listings.
As we know buyers don’t always seem to read descriptions when buying, I’d also use variations to add a text required box which is titled something like ‘I agree to collect this item from postcode area’ so you’re absolutely sure they’ve seen and agreed to it before buying.

2 Likes

I strongly advise against collections unless you transact the sale as cash-only at the point of collection. You have absolutely no protection against chargebacks if your customer pays online, collects the item, and then opens an item-not-received dispute. If you cannot prove delivery with a valid tracking number, you will not win a dispute.

2 Likes

I do allow collections from the doorstep but only local customers, from surrounding villages, most of those are people I have known for many many years and probably 80% of them I went to school with so I trust them all and havn’t had any problems.
I did have one new one yesterday but have emails arranging and asking about pick up and one thanking me for such a lovely bear after collection.

1 Like