Copyright infringement

Thankfully, after reporting this directly to ebay (this was the site my listings were being used on by a random seller) they have acted very quickly and the listings have since been removed. I appear to have been a victim of ‘drop shipping’ which I had not heard of until today. Unfortunately an innocent buyer had purchased something from his page, so I do hope that they receive the refund in full from this dodgy seller that they are entitled to. I really hope that other Folksy sellers don’t have to go through this, as it’s been really stressful and upsetting. What a shame that there are people who think that this type of behaviour is ok.

4 Likes

I was reading this thread and went to my shop and clicked on one of my patterns for sale. Pasted it to Google and there is a site on there advertising my pattern. OBVIOUSLY a false site altogether and they have patterns from other UK suppliers. I darn’t check anything else, does anyone know how to watermark pictures. I know if they were selling g through Etsy or ebay I could possibly get them taken down but how about a full website?

I have just tested my newest pattern and it is coming up on another unsecured site…

I don’t know if perhaps contacting them directly, even maybe with the threat of taking legal action against them unless they remove the content might be worth a try? I did a little research earlier into things like ‘intellectual property’ which clearly your patterns are; they are your designs. There was a page that I skimmed through which was https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property-an-overview but luckily I didn’t need to use it with my case but I did however send messages to the offender stating that the designs were my intellectual property. I would imagine it was the ebay intervention that was the real thing that made him take the listings down but you never know. I hope you get this sorted.

1 Like

They are clearly not selling anything they are there to take money from innocent people and are false sites. But I am shocked as I have literally tried 2 patterns and both are out there under false sites. I don’t for one minute think they have copied my designs as they are advertising the Bearlescent name and my name which is clearly on the product. I am not sure what to do or where to begin and don’t think we can stop this sort of thing, who can we report a website/link (not sure what it is) to. Is it safe to contact them from their page and ask why they are advertising my product?

Aww Debby, that’s awful. Sorry it’s happened to you. Clearly a dodgy site, I wouldn’t risk clicking anything on there! I’ve had a little look & you might be best reporting the site to Action Fraud. Apparently if it were to come up in a google ad then you could report to google, but doubt they’ll be paying for ads if it’s a scam. https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/how-to-report-fraud

2 Likes

I would contact them directly if there’s an email address on their website and ask them to explain their actions. At the end of the day, if they are advertising your products for sale without your consent then it’s wrong and they should be stopped. An innocent customer may buy from them, having no idea what’s actually going on, and then there will be no product to sell to them. At least if you email them then you have something in writing as well. That site looks a bit suspect to be honet! i’m sure you’ve found it, but their email in the contact area is service@service7s.com

2 Likes

Thank you Karly I might actually try getting in touch with them…their are other sellers as well that they have done the same to so I think I will contact them to let them know their images are also being used.
My patterns even have copyright information on the cover but they are using them as they are so obviously fake websites, isn’t it awful,
I’m pleased yours were sorted pretty quickly and the false listings were removed, I havn’t heard of drop shopping either.
I am shaking, don’t know whether I am cross, stressed or probably both x

Thank you for the link Dee…I will try it, I have found 2 separate sites already and only checked 2 patterns, I darn’t actually check the kits as well.
I will try to report them x

Thank you for this thread it prompted me to look at some of my listings and I found one of my unicorn purses on one charging double my price. I have linked the site I found it on so folks who sell bags, purses etc can check if any of there items are on there too. I have messaged the site but I doubt unscrupulous scammers will give a damn or remove them tbh. I hope no customers have been ripped off either :frowning: xxx

https://wwf.bags2020a.com/rainbow-unicorn-purse_p22

1 Like

Sharon, that’s crazy! the picture they’ve posted has even got your logo on! I can’t believe also how often this is happening! What can people do to stop this from happening? Without obviously having to spend loads of money in legal fees.

2 Likes

I wonder if putting the find me on folksy logo on the photos may help as hard to get rid of. A way of advertising Folksy and may be unappealing to copy.

5 Likes

I think you could be right there Caroline as they have not lifted any with the logo on or any of my collage ones :wink: xxx

1 Like

You could copy their link into all the platforms - facebook, G+, Instagram, Linkedin and twitter … all of us could just flood all the platforms about this. Someone somewhere will pick it up… Just a thought.

1 Like

@folksycontent It’s good to have the offer of support Camilla. I am aware of one particular acquaintance of my partner’s, who has a website which sells very high cost items internationally and his website images and descriptions simply are uncopiable by the usual means. You can highlight and click ‘copy’ or ‘control c’ etc and it does not work. His web designer has set up this on the website. I have no idea how it is done, but wondered if Folksy’s tech team could investigate so that shop images and descriptions are not copiable…?

7 Likes

@JudyAdams There are still ways around that, such as you can simply take a screenshot and crop the photo from it. It takes a bit longer but it won’t stop someone who’s determined.

I’ve also noticed an annoying side effect of it in my browsing. There are some websites I’ve been on that will have the no copying images/text set up, and however they’ve done it has also meant that the translate feature doesn’t work either, which for us might put off international shoppers.

1 Like

After discovering my items being offered for sale by fake sites last night I have literally spent all day/evening trying to sort it but am now ready to give up. I rang the Action Fraud line then filed an online report. Action fraud said I had to fill it in as a witness to a crime rather than a victim as I had not been cheated out of money. I was advised to contact trading standards as it is classed as intellectual theft.
I also managed to report 4 links to ASA online, 2 of those link to the same selling site. I have found my items on more pages but have now given up. Unless the ASA can take them down there is nothing we can do.
Another seller also passed some information on regarding ebays small print on intellectual property which has resulted in me taking my kits and patterns out of ebay, not only have ai wasted a full daynbut have also lost any future ebay sales, my kits and patterns sold better on ebay than on Folksy.
I rang Christie bears and messaged others whose patterns were also on the site to let them know their products were being advertised. Judy at Christie bears said she would ask her IT manager to look into things as well.
Action Fraud gave me a crime number but have since mailed to say they won’t be investigating it further but still keep the evidence in case it can be used later.

Basically all we can do is let these scum walk all over us, take our product photos and descriptions and use them for monetary gain whilst stamping on our reputation in the process. Peeved off is an understatement today, I am going to pour myself a large drink of anything now. Thank you for the ear!

7 Likes

Oh no…
Helen Clifford also said she did a check and found her listings on another foreign site complete with logo and even the thank you message that she adds to every listing. They are clearly just copying the whole thing

1 Like

I hope you managed to sort it and get this fake shop taken down x

1 Like

I’ve had my listings copied in the passed and they even used my watermarked images so this doesn’t stop them. There are apps for watermarking but I don’t bother now as it doesn’t stop them anyway.

1 Like

This is Diane Lee of Silverhares on Folksy. I see it’s been done to me as well. Apparently somebody in Iceland made this which is a bit surprising as it has the heraldic sign for Yorkshire on it and it’s a Yorkshire made piece. Please beware people!

2 Likes