Corona virus lock down

I have closed my Folksy shop, I could post as I live in a small village with a teeny post office that also sells basics i.e. bread, milk, however, for me personally it just felt right to close. Shame as I had more sales this past week on and off Folksy than I’ve had for a long time (mainly bear making kits) hopefully people will return once I reopen. Think we all have to do what we feel is best for us. I am still making but not rushing as much as usual so it will make a change to slow down a bit.
Take care everyone and above all carry on making x

3 Likes

Hi, of course you can and good idea, I should update mine to stress I’m taking precautions.
Loving your resolve and your show of ongoing support for Folksy, I’ll also be renewing mine when it comes up. it’s often been said that I never know when to give up - not in my DNA and determination can go a very long way in tough times. We wouldn’t have chosen to be in this situation, and of course we need to careful not to make it worse, but wherever possible think we should try to make the best of it.

5 Likes

Thank you! Yes, we must make the best of a bad job and I truly think that this will be a time when small businesses will shine. Each day I am amazed by how resourceful and caring our local businesses are and I’m grateful for the time to give my own customers extra attention.

4 Likes

Oh that’s a shame Bearlescent, sounds like your products could actually go one step further than just providing a gift shopping option, by helping keep other people off the streets and in their houses crafting :slight_smile: Funnily enough someone from Germany just bought some beads from me a few minutes ago so maybe there’s something in this. You’re right though we can only do what feel’s right and that might change over time - great to hear you’re keeping on making - that in itself is never giving up x

4 Likes

Thank you…pleased to hear of the sale
I am now wondering whether I have done the right thing by closing, so hard knowing what to do. Probably living in a village means I wouldn’t pass anyone on the way to the PO anyway :grinning:although on a sunny day it can take time as everyone seems to appear out of hibernation for a chat :grinning:.
I will review it in a few days, when it all started I felt as though closing was the only option, then changed my mind and kept open…then reconsidered and closed…like a yo yo at the minute. Carry on crafting and hope you get plenty more sales x

3 Likes

Thank you Joy, that’s fantastic news about the parcel boxes if folk are lucky enough to have a local one which I do. I am keeping my shop open even though I 'm not expecting too many sales. I will offer to reserve items if people prefer, but at the very least it might be diverting for loyal Folksy customers to browse our shops and it’s certainly keeping me sane continuing to make!!

4 Likes

Think a lot of us are still confused and in shock right now. I spent several days just staring at the TV and not doing anything useful. Probably best to meditate on it for a few days - hopefully we’ll all soon settle into a new and safe normal. Something I have noticed is that any time I’ve needed to close my shop for a few days, I’ve often had a sale immediately on reopening (despite previous tumbleweed) - think there’s something psychological happens when supply is restricted, so you might find you generate even more demand :slight_smile: Very best wishes x

4 Likes

It’s so interesting to read all your comments to help me make up my wandering confused mind. Just like you @Bearlescent Debbie, my shop closed immediately, then I reopened it then closed it… etc etc. I have re-opened it again this morning for as long as my local Post Office is open (and will have me!) When I think of all the non essential items being purchased on Amazon right now, it makes me keener than ever to keep Folksy going over this period. I have read good reasons to stay open, as well as good reasons to close, and people are right to choose whatever is best for them. It’s just that so many of you are not the ditherer that I am xx

9 Likes

I’m the same as @PetraBradleyPrints , I have closed, opened, closed… but open again at the moment. I have left all my smaller items active that I can just pop in post box. We all need to get happy post more than ever at the moment!

5 Likes

Quick question regarding Parcel Postboxes - am I right in assuming I can’t use these if I wanted to sent an item via Signed For? On the RM site it says “Special Delivery, International tracked, Tracked Returns and Mail Order Returns items must be posted in a Post Office branch” but doesn’t mention Signed For packages?

1 Like

You can’t put any type of tracked item into a post box, but you can take them to a RM customer service point or delivery office. You don’t have to take them to a post office.

3 Likes

Ha ha so happy I’m not the only one…I am now wondering whether mine should be open. i actually lost a bear kit sale, I said i wasnt posting at the minute (not Folksy) could have kicked myself lol. One minute I’m reading that the Royal Mail need deliveries to slow down and it should be essentials only, the next that online shopping is welcomed…think I need to stop reading and get on with sewing :joy::grin: I’m leaving mine closed for a few days then might rethink it again.Hope you manage to stay open for more than 24 hours this time :joy::smiley:

3 Likes

Every time I think of closing Bearlescent as a business altogether I start getting sales…last year I was going to finish then sales started happening…think I need to tell myself every week that I’m going to close then the sales may keep coming ha ha.
Hope you settle into making again and obviously have plenty of sales. :blush:x

6 Likes

I closed my shop for now because I cant get out for stamps and to give the posties a break. They are running ragged in the face of adversity. I just think it is fairer.

3 Likes

Debby For me closing is not an option. Not money related but just because I have a daily motivation, to make, to photograph, list and promote and… as is proving very much the case, to acknowledge, package and post orders out… Never had such a busy end of March. I live in a similar area… small shop where I can safely go in to post and also buy bits of food… to save me going out into the more dangerous town supermarket.
I can’t do anything else to help the countrywide effort to kill this thing as we are both vulnerable, by age though fortunately as Bob had his bypass last year it seems the NHS has not got him as at risk which is a relief :slight_smile:
So all I can do is hope that when someone orders my glass it is to cheer themselves or someone else up… it’s all I can do.
I know how nice it is to receive something lovely in the post to break up the day…I’m sending my two daughters a little gift each week just to cheer them as I can’t see them… A Victorian slang dictionary for one and an iridescent beetle jigsaw for the ohter. It keeps us in touch and that is why I am so sure that as long as I can post, I will so others can stay in touch remotely as well.
PS I think your bear kits would be fantastic presents for someone… if you do reopen make sure you offer to post direct to someone else.

xxx

8 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree Joy, at this time when people are stuck at home away from their friends and loved ones it’s even more important to send little rays of sunshine and lots of love in the post to stay connected. Not everyone is tech savvy, so I’m working on a new range of cards for this very reason.

In addition, let’s not forget that the postal service also needs customers to survive.

7 Likes

I am still open , not worried too much as I haven’t had any sales for a while . I think there are virtual cobwebs in my shop. X

4 Likes

I am still open. Spoke to the Postie (from an upstairs window) and he made the same comment Poppy that it is keeping them in business.

8 Likes

I think most people don’t want to go to the post office at the moment. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Thank you so much Joy. I am continuing to make and have stopped reading the virus updates as it really is unsettling so I am now back into making as usual. It has been difficult knowing what to do for the best and I’m sure living in a village I wouldn’t be putting anyone under risk.
I know you are right in that our items give others joy and a lot of people do need that right now. I had my best week selling kits last week, even sold 1 on Folksy lol so I may have sold more if I had remained open.
I’m pleased staying open has given you the motivation to continue making and happy to hear you had a really good week with sales.
Love love the gifts you have sent to your daughters what a lovely idea and sure to bring a smile.
I am going to rethink things in a few days and if I re-open I will add a note about gift wrap and direct post, I had actually done that then took it out and closed my shop. A friend suggested I could reopen and add a note to my shop saying I will only be visiting the post office once or maybe twice per week on a set day… I think that may be a solution.
Bearlescent followers must be fed up with me putting posts on Fb about my intentions, I listen to the advice everyone gives me, think it over…re-open…then close again and the cycle continues, I read a post that the postal service were struggling which also influenced me to stay closed. I’ve realised there isn’t a right or wrong decision it’s down to personal choice…but I am like a yo yo all the same :joy::grin::grinning:.
I’m pleased Bob is out of the high risk group after his bypass, that must be a huge relief for you at the moment .Take care xx

3 Likes