Discount at fairs

I’ve only been asked a couple of times for a discount and I agreed both times as in both cases the customer was buying multiple items so I felt it was worth doing. I wouldn’t agree to a discount whenever asked though - it would depend on the circumstances.

I’ve only ever given a discount once & the customer was buying a bracelet, earrings and pendant so I felt it was justified. I would never give a discount on a single piece. I know the work that has gone into it & my pricing accommodates a small profit. Afterall I have bills to pay like everyone else.

2 Likes

The only discount I can ever remember giving was to a little boy who wanted to buy his mom a present with his own money. She’d visited our stall earlier and purchased some earrings for a friend and commented how much she loved another pair. He came rushing back later with his pocket money and I couldn’t disappoint his little face when he was £2 short so I knocked it off and gave him a nice box too. He stashed them in his backpack and skipped off happily :slight_smile: it could have been a total ploy by the mom of course but I prefer not to think so

9 Likes

I don’t do craft fair anymore due to the time and effort and the fact it just wasn’t worth it.

I did get occasional people asking if they could have a discounts and I would always say I was sorry but I was unable to give one due to the time and it took to create and cost of the materials.

But I have when someone has bought more than one thing take the odd pound or two off.

I don’t do sales myself as been pointed out it can mean people will wait for your sale. It also means people think your normal price has been very much hyped up when it hasn’t.

I do give a wee bit a discount for commissions that don’t come via Folksy ie one’s from friends/family/people who contact me personally ask if I could make this or that or via craft forums. But they only get a discount in that I don’t include folksy fees and if they pay via check or cash paypal fee that I incorporate into my prices for here. As they haven’t ordered via folky.

1 Like

Nope not if someone badgers me for one.

BUT if it’s someone I like, old customer or someone who is buying a lot I will often add a small freebie, or mention a 4 for 3 or similar type offer.

I often have a clearance basket which always does well so if someone is giving me a " but I only have this much" then I point them towards that - frequently they buy still and everyone is happy.

I make prices very clear but I don’t put up a “no discounts” message.

You need to develop a thick skin or else you’ll lose your self-esteem. I let myself be persuaded at the very beginning and I felt dirty, I’ve never done it again. If you don’t value yourself, others won’t.
If they’re a regular and more than one item, I’ll throw in a polishing cloth perhaps - but then, those people never ask!
Anyone else, I’m polite but say no, and any one of the following, depending how aggressive they’ve been or what mood I’m in!

• I’m not a car boot sale
  • You’re actually talking to the person who made it, not a trader in secondhand goods like on the telly
  • Are you on minimum wage? I’m not.
  • These are not imports so I’m not on 71p an hour (China)
  • These are sterling silver items and there is very little profit when considering how long it takes me to cut, solder (several times), file, clean, polish.
    Take your pick!
3 Likes

Last year I was disappointed with my craft fairs … You have to sell a lot of cards to pay a pitch fee off. This year I took a step back, reduced fairs to two good ones with my target market (waitrose mums!) and looked at scrutinising my stall. I upped my prices, clearly marked everything individually with a price so no confusion and no one is embarrassed to ask. I sat back and carved Lino and only talked to browsers that were interested … It worked! Don’t be put off but take a step back and look at your stall from a customers perspective. Find someone who will give you honest feedback and don’t take offence but put it into action. There are shoppers out there who will pay top dollar for crafted work … It’s funding them that’s the hard bit!