Politely saying no to discount

Ive bought this subject up before. It still irritates me, even the thought of being asked for discount at fairs.

So I’m booked to sell at a December fair. All prices are reduced, I’ve added deals where I can on my makes, bogof offers, buy 2 and get % off etc but I’ve no doubt at some point someone will ask for discount.
I keep thinking of polite ways to say no to anyone that asks for discount.
I’ve come up with this.
If I say this with a smile on my face would it be ok.
Customer-Any chance of a discount?
Me- This is a handmade stall so there’s no discount here, but maybe you could ask for discount at one of the mass produced stalls.

Ok, or can you sense the annoyance in the phrase.

2 Likes

If it were me I would try to explain the processes that go into making your items, also that it costs you money to get to the craft fair, do your accounts, etc. Politely explain that if you reduce things any further you would be giving them away for free.

I think that often people don’t realise that you are running a business to make a wage and think that you are just there to make “pin money”.

I bet the customers that try to bargain with you wouldn’t attempt to try tge same tactic in Tesco.

1 Like

Yep! But it sounds good… It is really annoying. could you put that wording in a pretty frame and stick it on your stall With the added smiley face.

1 Like

I find it really insulting when people ask for discount or attempt to haggle. They kinda like what they see on your stall but they don’t put much value on it. I had an experience once where someone tried to haggle me down on an ink drawing which I refused (feeling much shock and horror). Someone else standing nearby who also happened to be an artist offered me the asking price which started a bidding war between the two which ended in much more than I had asked being offered. :smile: It was a funny thing to witness but I was still annoyed that someone would insult my work at the same time as trying to buy it. It’s a contradiction.

2 Likes

I would give them a card with your details and say that you cannot reduce it today but you may be reducing certain items on your Folksy site (say) and if that particular item is in your special offers then she will be able to buy it, but someone else may buy it first. Or words to that effect.

I wouldn’t ever think of bartering at a craft fair, I think it’s horrible, but then that’s what some people are like unfortunately.

1 Like

Just say ‘sorry I can’t offer any discounts other than those deals already advertised, what is it you are interested in and I’ll explain which deals it is part of?’, this opens the dialogue up, they tell you what they are interested in, you tell them the item specifics (singing its praises) and point out which other items are included in the same offer (encouraging them to look closer at those items/ pick them up etc). If items are already reduced make sure you advertise the fact (‘fair special offer - save X on these items’).
I think telling them to try their luck with a different stall will encourage them to go elsewhere.

1 Like

“No, I’m really sorry but the only items that are discounted are these (wave at offers)”. Anything else could be off-putting.

2 Likes

If all your prices are already reduced then I’d just say that.
“I’m sorry, but this is already on sale at a discount, so I can’t afford to reduce it more”. That way they should get the hint that if they buy it now they’ll be getting a better price than if they bought it from you online/elsewhere, so they’ll still feel like they’re getting a deal.

I agree with @SashaGarrett too, make sure all your offers are clearly labelled so if they’re looking for a deal hopefully they’ll focus on those.

I absolutely agree with that.

I used to smile and say something like: “I might be able to give you a small discount on cash purchases over £xx” (usually a minimum of £50).

Not exactly a refusal, but certainly on my terms!!

3 Likes