Face Mask Recommendations - Wearing Glasses

I have previously made a couple of face masks (a most tedious and hateful experience for me) and subsequently purchased one which is okay but my glasses steam up and it’s so hot to wear. I want to buy another one (I can’t go through the process of making again) and have been looking to buy on Folksy.

There are lots of lovely masks, but many sellers don’t add photographs of them being worn so it’s difficult to see what they look like, especially if wearing glasses. Can anyone make any recommendations, please?

1 Like

I’ve found that if I put my mask on and then my sunglasses so that they sit on top of the mask then they don’t steam up. I realise this won’t help with the hot to wear aspect but it might help with the steaming up.

2 Likes

Was it a shaped mask? I’ve found those fit better than rectangular ones. I made both and the rectangular ones stood out between nose and cheeks on my face. Maybe i just have a big nose as they work for some! Some masks also have wires that you can mould round your nose too, which may help. As for the heat and steaminess, its pretty much unavoidable and yes, unpleasant.

1 Like

I wear a pleated one, the 1st one with glasses was a nightmare but my latest lawn ones are fine.

1 Like

I just put a strip of masking tape along the top of the mask - has to be replaced frequently but works wonders. :smiley:

2 Likes

I put washing up liquid on mine. Just a little and wipe the lenses. It worked a treat. Someone suggested it. Can’t remember who.

3 Likes

masks that you can fit in some wire - such as those for freezer bags are ideal. I’ve made my own and added a little channel to add some garden wire I had. That along with wearing my glasses over the mask mean I don’t get them steamed up half as much as without.

1 Like

I find the pleated ones with wire that you can press to shape are best. I had one without wire and put in a little piece myself. I don’t find the ‘curvy’ ones fit as well. Try lifting your glasses before you pull it up, and dropping them on top. Not foolproof, but seems to work sufficiently well.

1 Like

I’ve had the same problem and found success with my 4th mask, which I got from here

Perfect fit for me, doesn’t steam my glasses, has nose wire and 3 layers of fabric but they are light, not too heavy. Also a pocket for filter. Got hubby one too and he’s really pleased with his. They wash up well too…unlike the one I made, which fell apart after 2nd wash :roll_eyes: Think I’ll stick to hammers and pliers rather than sewing machines!
3 Likes

My masks are made from 100% cotton, many are Japanese fabrics, with the lining being 600 thread count. They all have a nose wire that stops glasses fogging up, and a pocket for filters. I’ve got lots of happy reviewers who have said the mask fits well so their glasses don’t fog up. These are just some of the designs.

https://folksy.com/shops/Sewtaylormadedesigns/collections/291114-masks

5 Likes

I’ve bought two masks from Liz @Sewtaylormadedesigns (above post) and I can highly recommend them. They are beautifully made. With the nose wire, they fit really well and they wash really well too. I only need my glasses for driving so I haven’t worn them with the masks but I’d imagine they’d be fine as they fit so well around the nose.

5 Likes

I don’t need to wear my glasses anymore except now when wearing a mask… as the mask rides up when I am packing my bag at the checkout and really hurts my lower eyelid… so when checking out I have to wear glasses to keep my mask under my eyes…so silly

1 Like

Grrrrr @dougfolksy please please will you sort out the image not displaying problem …I was trying to look at the second, subsequent photos of Liz’s masks to see what they were like inside and mainly only get a little image errored box. It is driving me to distraction and I hate to think what it does to potential customers. This is 22:50 I cannot believe it is a busy moment on the site.
Joy xx

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the recommendation Helen @PocketfulCreations x

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out Joy.
@dougfolksy I’m having the same problem trying to view some of my own, and others photos. I know my own photos are under the new maximum size.

1 Like

I, too, would appreciate advice on this. To be honest I only go in shops if I really have to because it is so hot and steamy. I have seen people wearing their glasses further down the nose to give a bit of air space, but if I do that I can’t see anyway!

2 Likes

I wear glasses and the best ones are the ones that your glasses sit on top of. I an now making them to sell as I was worried by how many people are wearing masks that have a gap at the side giving them and me little protection.

1 Like

Hi
I make the fitted ones and sell on Folksy with a pipe cleaner nose wire. I make these because I wear glasses as well as didn’t want them steaming up. Mine aren’t cheap though as I’ve donated the fabric for 1735 masks since lock down for vulnerable people/care homes etc so every mask bought helps to fund another donated one. [https://folksy.com/items/7464859-100-Cotton-Face-Mask-with-filter-pocket-and-nose-wire-Adult-Teenager-Child-]

2 Likes