Free Q&A session on how to price your work for Folksy Plus members

I am registered for the session but like most have my reservations about how relevant it will be … what happens in the real world of craft fairs and online is different to an upmarket and exclusive International gallery. I think most of us know the score but having said that we might glean an interesting fact or two so I for one will be looking in.

3 Likes

I have signed up but asked fora link after the event

1 Like

We’re really lucky that this has been arranged for us, thank you. I’ve signed up.

I’m a big fan of The Design Trust as I’ve been using their Creative Business Diary/Planner for a few years now and can owe a lot of my progress to their guidance and support.

Patricia is amazing, has years and years worth of experience and is hugely knowledgeable.

I’m really looking forward to it. :blush:

9 Likes

Anyone know if I can watch this from my iPhone as I’m a bit unclear from the reminder email. I was told it would be on zoom which I can access from my phone so I think I’m ok?

I think you just click the link and it will open it in your web browser on your phone, so safari on your iPhone.
I don’t have zoom and I checked that you don’t need the app or a zoom account to join the webinar.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Nowadays there is more encouragement for everyone to do crafts and make stuff. There are sites dedicated to teaching and providing materials for people to learn about all kinds of crafts. I suspect that soon the gap between hobbyists and professional crafters will be rather small. We must price our work properly to avoid stressful situations, but how high can our prices go? It would be interesting to listen to this webinar!

1 Like

I’ve asked for the link to be sent to me. I also asked for advice on pricing knitting as it takes so many hours to do we can’t charge by the hour (not a proper hourly wage anyway) don’t know if my question will get picked to answer or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for saying that, I hadnt registered because I know I wouldnt make it, but I will now knowing i can listen when I have time

Yes, it was picked and answered. It is indeed difficult to charge that much for a cardigan, but you will have to ask yourself if it’s really worth your time and effort to make it for so much less? Perhaps you can do it when you don’t have other work, or knitting a cardigan could be a hobby aspect of your work and do it occasionally. Or you can have a longer deadline so you can rest or do other work…cheaper materials etc…

1 Like

This was an excellent thought-provoking session. Has given lots of food for thought. I definitely recommend watching if you are a Plus member. And kudos to Patricia for going through the comments on this forum too.

4 Likes

Thank you for organising this for Folksy plus members, lots to think about, that session was worth the plus membership fee on it’s own :blush:

3 Likes

I thought it was a good session - lots to think about and thanks to Folksy for organising it.

2 Likes

Carol, have you received the recording link yet? I signed up and selected the option that I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to attend or not, expecting that I’d be sent the link. However, I haven’t received anything yet.

She said she’d follow up on some stuff tomorrow, so the link might be sent out then.

1 Like

I’m fortunate that I do this just because I love it (I have paid employment) but I still want to make a certain amount of profit. I see knitted items for sell at a price that wouldn’t even cover the cost of the yarn. Each to their own but I certainly wouldn’t do this to make a loss.

Helen @PocketfulCreations no I haven’t received the link yet. These things are always done in the evenings (like the fb Market events) which is my family time after us both being out at work during the day so I opted for the link.

1 Like

Anyone had the link yet?

No link yet. I’m still processing all the info we got - it’s certainly go me thinking about lots of different aspects of the business.

1 Like

I’m really glad the session was useful. Patricia is hugely knowledgable and we are very lucky that she created a webinar with such thought-provoking and important content. I made loads of notes and will write a blog post summarising some of the points she covered. I’m sure the link will come through soon for anyone who missed it last night too.

9 Likes

Hi Camilla
I was so sorry to miss this yesterday. I had registered to attend, will I automatically be sent a link? Looking forward to your blog post.

1 Like