Happy St David's Day Everyone

Just wanted to wish you all Happy St David’s Day :blossom: and it’s the first day of spring too of course lol :grin: Not that you’d be able to tell as it’s cold grey and rainy here :expressionless:

6 Likes

Grey and rainy here too but am celebrating nonetheless! Hope it’s a good day for everyone!! :smiley:

happy st. david’s day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What is this ‘spring’ you speak of? I thought that we just had 2 seasons - wet and less wet.

9 Likes

Haha! This made me smile Sasha! You’re not wrong - it’s like the middle of winter here!
Happy St David’s Day everybody! I might have to knit something daffodil coloured this afternoon to celebrate!
Di :slightly_smiling:

Perfect crafting weather! I’m holed up in my sewing room with a coffee and the radio on…bliss! :slightly_smiling:

Happy March 1st…my favourite day of the year…all those light months ahead.

2 Likes

lol Sasha @SashaGarrett That made me chuckle, it’s not been too bad here, I was almost convinced spring was coming at the weekend, it was actually warm!! But I should have known better :cry:
I will be spending my day in my sewing room trying to catch up on some custom orders I’ve had for ages :expressionless:

I thought the first day of Spring (officially was 21st March?)
Happy St David’s day to everyone…from here in South Wales.

I’ll accept full resposibility for all this wet - I’d been planning on digging over the allotment this week which ain’t going to happen now… (ponders hiding in the polytunnel and getting that ready) … no not happening until the wet stops.

Happy St Davids Day, I spent many a happy holiday in Wales, it’s a beautiful place. :slight_smile:

@teabreaks Astronomically speaking it is March 20th but Meteorologically speaking, however, in the Northern Hemisphere the official spring season always begins on March 1 and continues through May 31.
:slightly_smiling:
oh and …
WOOOOHOOOO the sun has come out :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sun_with_face: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Its stopped raining now but I forgot to let ‘this little pudding face’ in! My studio supervisor (Ariel the cat) is not impressed!
Happy St David’s Day! X

3 Likes

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus I pawb x

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr :slight_smile: Diwrnod gwyl Dewi Sant hapus i chdi hefyd :slight_smile:

Wow I hadn’t realised how rusty my welsh is until I wrote that. Good job I’m visiting Anglesey for a few days later this month :grinning:

1 Like

Happy St David’s Day to you too!

Loads of daffs all over my FB feed today but none in my garden yet. Am I right in thinking daffodil is a bowlderization of the Welsh for “David’s Lilly?” One was making a valiant attempt to open but sadly has failed because of the general lack of sunshine. Never mind, there’s always tomorrow…

Love Sam x

I’m not sure to be honest as, Cennin Pedr, the welsh for daffodil translates as Peter’s leek??? I’ve often wondered why, if anyone knows I’d be happy to hear about it :slight_smile: :blossom:

1 Like

I’m extremely pleased to announce that Ocado delivered Welshcakes to my house htis morning. Very lovely they were too!

I Googled “Peter’s Leek” and, annoyingly, got nothing! Somebody must have studied this!

Apparently the word daffodil comes from the Early Middle English “affodil” which the etymologists think originally came from the latin “asphodil.” But then whence comes the “d?” Also, why a latin name for a flower that grows wild and must have grown wild in much greater profusion in the medieval period and earlier as the landscape was less cultivated. I would have expected the Saxons to either take on the Welsh name for the wild plant or to have a name of their own for it. I can’t imagine why either nationalities would feel the need to go back to church latin (which was never spoken in this country) in order to name a native plant, which is poisonous if eaten.

There is some suggestion that the name is from the Dutch de Asphodil and was part of the marketing of bulbs which began there in the late C16. Okay, so why does the name turn up as “affodil” in the 1400’s.

I don’t like to accept that this information is lost in the mists of time, but it looks like I will have to. I’m sure there must be a reference to it in some old book somewhere, but it has beaten me for the present :confounded:

Love Sam x

1 Like

I’m now musing that “Peter’s Leek” may be a humorous reference to the fact that this “leek” will send you to heaven if you eat it! Daffodils certainly will and there is at least one case of daffodil poisoning every couple of years when somebody confuses the bulb with onions.

Love Sam x

Late to the thread but Happy St David’s Day to you all :slightly_smiling: