Has anyone used a photo studio tent/cube before?

Hello,

I really could do with some advice about whether a photo studio tent/pop up cube would be an ideal investment for me to get to photograph my greetings cards.

I’ve tried different ways to do my photos and really could do with something that I could use all year round as opposed to just waiting for when the sun comes out and have seen these items for sale with lamps included.

I want to get my photos more uniformed and would appreciate any advice. I know that there have been lots of threads about taking the best photos, but would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used one and if they think it would be good for someone selling greetings cards.

I feel as if I will be tearing my hair out soon from the frustration of getting that perfect photo…

Cheers.

Helen. :smile:

I bought myself one a while ago and tend to use a black background on most of my photo’s.
This is an example.

2 Likes

Do you have the lamps as well Pauline? That’s a really great photo.

I was wondering, would it be easy enough to use your own backgrounds if you wanted to? Or can you only use the ones given?

I got one a while ago and used it a lot for my smaller items but now I’ve moved on to larger items I can’t use it as much. I found colour reproduction much better when using it and it helped with unwanted reflections and uneven lighting.

You could put any background in I would think.

1 Like

On that particular photo, no I didn’t use the lamps. I use also a piece of white felt and I suppose if you could get a really good picture of some greenery then that I’m sure would work. This is a picture with the lamps and a different coloured background.

1 Like

Thanks Roz,

That’s really helpful. I do sell larger prints, but I seem to be ok with them. I just really struggle with my cards. I need to get something sorted soon though as it’s getting frustrating. Especially with this terrible weather.

That’s great. Thanks so much Pauline :smile: I think that I may well be parting with some money and getting one.

Loving the detail on that photo.

1 Like

Thank you Helen and good luck in finding a light tent. I got mine from ebay, and I think I paid around £25 for it.

1 Like

I got one for my cards at christmas with the lights, but have been struggling with the white background coming out very grey.
The coloured background is better with the white cards, but not sure if that would be suitable for showing off cards. Have both backgrounds on my page if you want to look.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help Pauline. Yes that’s where i’ve been looking. I’m going to do it and here’s hoping it works.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Janet,

That’s really useful to know. I was wondering about how the white background would work as most of my cards are mainly white and I don’t know whether mine would work with a black background, that why I was hoping that I could try using my own background in the light tent.

1 Like

Hi Just give them ago, mine background could just be that l have not got a big camera, just my little digital, but they are pretty good, just needs lots of pratice, good luck with your pictures

1 Like

Thanks Janet :smile:

I had the full works when I made jewellery, with the cube and special light bulbs that resonated at a certain frequency (or some such nonsense!) as I personally don’t like the shadow that sunlight casts. My then hubby spent weeks deciding what would be the perfect set up and then I gave up making jewellery and it’s all just sitting under the bed gathering loads of dust. If you are anywhere near The High Peak you are more than welcome to come and relieve me of them for free.

2 Likes

I seem to struggle with photographs no matter what on earth I do! I have tried using natural light; I’ve tried using a light box with lights & without & I am still unimpressed with my offerings. I realise that great photos is key to getting my work to sell. When we do craft fairs the feedback we get is great but on-line we are getting very little notice. Only conclusion is my pictures aren’t good enough. Mum & I are going to put a lot more effort into the “dark art” of producing magical pictures; what’s the point of making great stuff & showing them off to their best? I think the key question we are going to have to ask ourselves is would we buy what we have made from looking at our pictures; if our answer is no then we need to take a better picture. Just wish I could learn how quickly. It’s driving me nuts!

I’ve made myself a large corner structure on top of a low cupboard, made from white box canvases but I’m still not entirely happy with the quality of the pictures.

1 Like

I need to get rid of the cracks in the background. It’s a shame because the photos don’t show my dolls at their best but I struggle to get a good background.

1 Like

Liz,

Thank you so much, that really is such a kind offer, but I ordered one last night before I saw your post. Flipping typical eh?
Couldn’t you sell it on ebay and at least get some of your money back? I’d got it in my head last night that I needed to get one asap as i’ve been mulling over my photos for so long now that i need to get it sorted or at least try as soon as I can.

Thanks again, it really is lovely of you.

x

1 Like

I completely understand where you are coming from. I’ve tried and tried with natural light, but my house is generally dark, even when it’s sunny outside. I have taken pics outside when it’s been ok weather wise, but the main issues are when I do some of my cards that are printed on both the front and back of the card and I want to do a photo showing that.

The photos just don’t show them off as well as they look in real life. I’ve also tried adding props etc etc.

aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh :smile: I feel your pain.

That doll is fantastic Martine.

Have you tried different colour backdrops? That’s what I’ve really struggled with. What colour background would be best for my items.

Have you tried adding props to the pic? It would be lovely to see close ups of your dolls faces.