Folksy Ltd

Help with my Singer model 457

(Eileens Craft Studio) #1

I’ve been searching on line like mad and I’ve downloaded the manual all 66pages and read it twice now.

The problem is it’s not winding the bobbins evenly. Now I know how to adjust the tension on my other 2 Singers to make sure the bobbins fill up evenly however I don’t know how to adjust the tension on the 457 and it’s driving me insane.

I’ve now 6 bobbins wound with thread but they are all evenly wound. I can’t use them in that state in the machine as it will cause missed stitches. grrrr.

Anyone had this problem and solved it?

(Kim Blythe) #2

Sorry, I don’t know anything about this machine…can you perhaps use one of the other machines to wind the bobbin?..or maybe get one of the Simplicity bobbin winders

Kim
x

(Eileens Craft Studio) #3

I would if my other one wasn’t awaiting a new drive belt but it should be here in the next couple of days.

I will have a look at the simplicity bobbin winders :slight_smile:

(Kim Blythe) #4

Empress Mills do a good price on them at the moment…£12.50. Don’t know if that includes batteries though.

Hobbycraft had them on offer at £9.99 a while back but I don’t know if they still do…

x

(Eileens Craft Studio) #5

Is that the original model as I’ve looked at a few reviews on the original and some love it some say it’s not great.

I’ve found there’s a delux model available in the USA that solves the issues bought up in some of the reviews.

(Kim Blythe) #6

I have seen the deluxe ones over here too but thought they were a bit expensive…
I know a few people who have the original one and they haven’t had any problems. I don’t have one myself as I have a few machines which I can use to wind bobbins if need be!!

x

(Eileens Craft Studio) #7

yes the ones I’ve seen aren’t cheap and I’d have to pay import duty/vat plus the royal mail £8 processing fee.

I think I’m going to buy the original winder as it’s very useful.

(Kim Blythe) #8

I think the little one is a bit like marmite…some people love them and some don’t.
I have a friend on a sewing forum who goes to a weekly workshop, most of the people that go seem to have one and they think they are great. She rarely uses her because she has a few sewing/embroidery machines that she can wind bobbins on…

(Eileens Craft Studio) #9

Big Thank you Kim @KBCreations for the advice I bought the bobbin winder and it arrived to day.

I now have all three of my Singers working. So I will be able to get on with my patchwork bunting, the new patchwork quilt, the place mats, coasters and table runners I want to make for my shop.

Plus all the table linen and cushion covers I have to make for my conservatory.

I’m now teaching some one how to make a patchwork quilt for herself and then she wants to go onto making herself a skirt so it would appear I will be going back to tutoring once again, only this time as a favour.

It is so good to be fully up and running again. :slight_smile:

(Kim Blythe) #10

Glad to have helped! Good to hear you are up and running again…I would be lost if I couldn’t sew.
I get withdrawal systems after a couple of days!!

Kim
x :smile:

(Stevenbowlerdesigns) #11

Follow these simple steps: disconnect the brass cog top from the purple wooly bit and re thread the cotton, but this time, under the cat’s whisker. Call a plumber and have him remove any lime deposits from the end of the machine’s trumpet fixture and apply a dash of wd40. Your bobbins are now not so tense.
Meanwhile your other two Singers could busy themselves auditioning for ‘The Voice’, I hear Tom Jones is rather partial to a duo…duet?

Hope this helps.
P.S. your G.P. should be able to help with the ‘insanity’ part of your problem.
Good luck!