If you could share one tip with new sellers, what would it be?

Yes I completely agree…and I have wasted time and money making things that I think people will buy…without particularly liking them myself ! Have learned the hard way that it is easy to sell the work that you love and would buy yourself !

3 Likes

I’m brand new to Folksy, I only opened my online shop over the weekend and I’m brainstorming where to go now as there are so many different places to try and market yourself. Like MissTaylorMade I’ve only sold to family members and there’s a big jump from that to selling to the general public.

I too would appreciate any advice on how to market your shop if anyone can share some pearls of wisdom :smile:

Hi Miss Taylor Made

I have thought long and hard about this but now feel that Frames are a personal choice as everyone’s home decor is different. In addition to this frames cost more to package and post along with the added risk of damage.

I supply mounted prints and now looking into the option of greeting cards.

Hope this helps
John

Do not get conned into paying/giving away free items to Bloggers in exchange for a write up and recommendation. These are people who are out to get free stuff, and often will brag about how they’ve managed to get free items to give as Christmas presents, for their new baby, etc etc.

No true Blogger will ask you for monies or ‘free items’ they’ll share your work because they like it or because they’ll think their followers will be interested.

I’ve had a few contact me via my facebook page. I always check them out and often they are kids or people with blogs with very few followers and are often badly written, no interaction with their followers ie comments. Also their blogs often have nothing to do with your target market.

So at this time of year be especially vigilant as the run up to Christmas often means a influx of this sort of conn.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m a new seller and finding all your tips very useful.

http://folksy.com/items/6529490-Spring-Bumble-bee

1 Like

Great advice! Where do you think the best places to promote are? Lampara xx

Not an easy question to answer as I’m sure everyone will appreciate but my thinking is off the top off my head as it comes to me

1. Decide what you want to achieve (sell lots or get known as a brand first)
  2. Find out what your competitors are doing successfully to get customers ( this is likely to be making an excellent product but could also be because they have a range or something consumable and can thus attract repeat custom)
    3.Decide whether you are using social media, which types and in which way ( some people focus on Facebook to showcase, some Pinterest, some use Twitter) but the main thing is to maintain a sustainable flow of communication and interest to your followers, you prob need to experiment to see what works for you
  3. You don’t have to go it alone, join groups and teams, there are several who will promote you and your things for you
  4. Start by trying something, access if it’s working, if it isn’t find ways to expand on or change the ideas and keep going.
    6.Believe in yourself and your product but build a good foundation for success to grow, accept that it can take time and perseverance, don’t give up, because you might miss success that was coming ( having said that do be realistic about who you are and where you are with everything to do with your business so you can learn what needs to be learnt along the way, without thinking you are failing).

Hope that helps in some way Lampara, sorry I took a few days to respond, I saw that I had a message but could not work out what it was, but luckily just saw it now, I know I am not saying where it would be best because there’s no right answer, there are lots if social media platforms, the obvious ones having been mentioned.

3 Likes

Remember most business don’t start to show a profit in the first 2 years. In fact most don’t even break even.

It takes time and a lot of work not just perfecting your product line, your descriptions, your photo’s, creating your items, etc.

It takes time to get your name and products out there so lots and lots of promoting in as many venues as possible.

Make sure you keep your records up to date, get into a routine you are running a business that includes all areas of a business

ie you are the account department
The administration department
the research and development department
The production department
The Despatch ( goods out) department
The buyer ie buyer of products required to make your items
The Advertising Department
The Customer Service Department.

And never ever ever believe the myth “If you make it people will buy it”

6 Likes

If you are a knitter like me, always keep a little of the project wool behind. You can always offer to send a little knitted square to your potential buyer so they can assess the yarn colour and softness.
Photographs are good but they cannot portray the warmth and comfort of a yarn.

6 Likes

That is so true, you really do have to love what you do.

For a few years I did free machine embroidery (selling a fair few things via my FB page) then I lost my mojo, decided everything was total pants and that nobody would want to buy it and generally couldn’t motivate myself to create anything new. It was quite a sad time for me.

I knew I needed to try something new and I kind of stumbled into the twig art thing. I get to transfer some of my old sewn designs into wire and now when I finish something I look at it and think “Wow, I love you and I want to keep you.” Now the hardest part is trying to improve my photography to the point where I really get over to the customer how totally gorgeous my items are (even though I do say so myself!)

1 Like

I’m a newbie, deciding two months ago that this is the new way forward. So lovely to read everyone’s advice, tips and inspirational quotes. Good luck to ya’ll!!

1 Like

Other people have mentioned the importance of keeping your Folksy shop clear and easy for buyers to view your products. My friend (a web designer) said something which i found amusing “make sure it’s not a messy bazaar!”

1 Like

oh the perseverance word !! but you are totally right !! joined yesterday … heres to the long haul !!

1 Like

Beautiful photographs!
Put as much creativity into your photos as you do with your work.
Light, composition and editing are vital to selling online.
Which all adds up to 1000s of photos - but it’s worth it !

3 Likes

Loved reading this. I’ve been trying for 2 years so I’m now coming up with new ideas.

1 Like

Have just started out on folksy and selling the things I make. Rather that giving advice at the moment it is great to take some. Am finding it hard waiting for someone to like something I have made enough to purchase. Any advice?

2 Likes

this is great …rings so true …thank you

What a lot of great inspiration!

4 Likes

Hi Pip Pips’ Bits and Bobs

I have put you on my pinterest folksy page to promote your cat

http://uk.pinterest.com/sussie234/folksey-crafts/ have a look

all the best to us all

Sue

2 Likes

Hi Jennie @TheMeadsCraftHouse - I think marketing is a skill you have to learn as you go - but the most important thing is to know who your ‘target customer’ is so you can market to them and save yourself a whole lot of wasted time trying to market to people who won’t be buying. So try to establish the typical person who is most likely to buy your work - age, gender, social group, where they live/work, young mum or retired, leisure activities, groups they belong to, where they shop, when they’re likely to buy, who for - themselves/children/gifts? Once you have your target customer in mind, you can figure out where/how to market directly to them.

1 Like