Is anyone else on TSU?

Is anyone else on TSU? (its a new social media platform - like Facebook) If you are please share your link so I can follow you.

My link is https://www.tsu.co/Fairylanddecor

Karen :smile:

I’ve just joined, and I think I’ve followed you - here’s hoping anyway!

Ali

Hey all I have just joined and will add you both in a bit x

I’ve just joined too. You’ll find me here.
https://www.tsu.co/Paulinescrafts

1 Like

Thank you for adding me x

1 Like

I’ve just signed up too, https://www.tsu.co/LilVintage it seems a nice combo of twitter and facebook with lots of crafty friends! x

1 Like

I have never seen this site what is it all about?

I have just joined will now follow you all. This is my link
https://www.tsu.co/PrettyCuteJewellery

Just skim read the Terms. On Content Ownership (does this read as bad as I think it does ‘sell’, ‘make commercial use of’), does Facebook have all this ‘licence’ on our ‘Content’ too? -

‘We do not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service. When you post Content, you represent and warrant that you are the rightful owner of all rights to that content or that you are licensed by the rightful owners to post and use such Content on TsĆ«, in accordance with the Terms. You hereby grant to the Company a non-exclusive, fully paid, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use, to display on the Service, make available to the public, adapt, sub-license, make commercial use, process, compile, translate, sell, lend, rent, reverse engineer, combine with or incorporate into other content, modify and create derivative works on TsĆ«, and in other communication and information networks, platforms, applications and services the Content that you post on or through the Service, subject to the Service’s Privacy Policy. We will not display your Content on any platform other than the Service without your consent. You can choose who can view your Content and activities, including your photos, as described in the Privacy Policy available here. You acknowledge and agree that Evacuation Complete is not responsible for the use of your Content by third parties who view your Content.’

I’ve sort of joined (I think)

Hopefully I am following everyone back, let me know if I have missed you.

Further to my post above, you are giving the ‘Company’ a ‘worldwide’, ‘perpetual’, ‘irrevocable’ ‘licence’ to ‘reverse engineer’, ‘sell’, ‘create derivative works’.

If you are an artist, does this mean they can ‘reverse engineer’ your picture, ‘create a derivative work’ meaning that gets them out of the copyright (if they are liable for that anyway as you’re agreeing to grant them a licence to your work anyway), then ‘sell’ what they’ve created?

I’m actually thinking this applies to any design of item posted on this site. It can be reverse engineered, altered and sold, and you’ve granted a licence so would you have a leg to stand on with intellectual copyright?

Seriously, does Facebook have this kind of rights on the content you post there? Or am I reading this all wrong?

1 Like

This sounds like a catch-all clause that the company may or may not use at a future date (I’ve got some legal training). The good bit is that words like “irrevocable” and “perpetual” are rarely taken seriously by the courts. This clause does not make it clear whether it is referring to the physical products or the photographs so it is possible it is completely unenforceable, but unless you have pre-existing copyright over your designs (which would probably take precedence over this silly clause) it would be dangerous to assume that your designs could not be used without your consent. There are lots of clauses like this, variously worded in the small print of all social networking sites. Some of the scariest are for sites such as Facebook. It’s all down to whether or not you think you can trust the site or not. I tend to think Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are all right because they are not likely to need the money enough in the near future to start exploiting all the artists on their site, but you would need to consult a commercial lawyer to see what they thought to get a definitive answer. It might be the case that in 5 or 10 years time all of us will get some nasty surprises when we see a large corporation unashamedly using our work without paying us or asking permission, but that has always been a risk involved in working the creative industries.

1 Like

Just had a look at TSU. Personally I would not be inclined to trust them. They claim that revenue from content is shared among their users and that everything is completely free of charge. So where is the profit for them from running such a site? Also their list of sponsors does not include anyone I have every heard of before. I would need a recommendation from somebody I really trusted who had used this site for a long time before I would want to sign up to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Samantha. I can’t believe the numbers of people jumping on this site, when no one seems to have heard of it a few days ago, just because they think Facebook is going to completely stop showing any posts from small businesses. It doesn’t make any sense for Facebook to sensor itself in that way, you’ve just got to be more cute in how you use it to promote.

As for this TSu site. Strewth. ‘Reverse engineer’. Why on earth would it need to reverse engineer content, unless it was to, for example, remove things added to a photo you’re sharing, like, say, a watermark. I think it is all to do with the photos that you’re putting on the site. But if they decide to ‘make commercial use of’ your photo by selling it onto a company that can recreate the item, like Alibaba, who could then make the ‘derivative work’.

Just seen your 2nd reply on this subject Samantha. From what I understand they take 10% of any revenue made, then distribute the rest. But if they have the ‘licence’ to your ‘content’ to ‘make commercial use of it’, it’s irrelevant what you’re making on your own items, they could be ‘sub-licencing’ your idea to another company to make a ‘derivative work’, couldn’t they?

Edited to add, I actually don’t understand how the revenue that’s distributed to it’s users is created in the first place. They’ve got a nice little table of who gets what, they get 10%, you get 50% if you create the revenue (how?), then all the people you’ve introduced to the site (who can only sign up off of an invite from you, or it seems just by using your TSu member URL) they all get a slice of your revenue too. It seems like a lot of people could just be sitting back making money off joining up under a successful artists URL, and the artist is only getting 50% of what they make back. Would you join an online selling site who took 50% commission? That’s B&M gallery type money, isn’t it? I really, really don’t get it.

2 Likes

i won’t be signing up, so i don’t know if this for true
 but i read that there’s no “delete my account” button?

Possibly
Like I say, it is quite likely this term is legally unenforceable-but would you want to pay the fees and test it in court? I order to be sure you would need to ask a solicitor specializing in commercial law (and pay their fees too!).

1 Like

50% commission? They appear to be “having a giraffe.”

2 Likes

It always surprise me that people don’t read the Terms and Conditions before signing up to things like this.

I remember when pinterst had the very same wording when they first started and I refused to use it until the changed it.

Please everyone read the terms and conditions.

Yes there is, I know because I have deleted my account :smile: