Mass produced

Just reported a shop for selling what I think is imported mass produced goods at prices that no crafter can compete with. If this is the case then not only are genuine Folksy sellers being cheated but the buyers are too by not getting the handmade they are paying for.
If by some stretch of the imagination these are handmade then the seller can choose prices as they wish. But even then it is seriously under cutting and sorry but to sell at a stupidly low price to gain advantage is something I spit on.

3 Likes

James that is exactly why we have (and use) the report facility. Admin will check it out when they get your ‘report’ and take action if you are correct. Shops often appear in the new shop list and disappear shortly afterwards.

2 Likes

Yes, it makes me angry when genuine crafters struggle to sell in a sea of crafts. I am familiar with the techniques used to produce the items in question and even with the best kit money can buy the cost of raw materials prohibit the sales at such a silly price. Even to sit down and make one item a day and sell cheap is one thing but this shop is loaded with stock.

Hi, I have just seen this post although I do not know the shop in question but I do fully agree with you.
It is the same at craft fairs and farmers market there is always one like that. And the other thing is were somebody makes things but sell the items at a very low price because to them it is just a hobby.

1 Like

I do try to look at at a few other shops to see what the going rate is, I do have other income but that is no reason to undercut, there are others that rely on Folksy entirely for their income and if I am going to compete I can at least try to be fair. The shop in question would have been hard pressed to make much profit and as a hand maker myself the items did not show me the little tell tale signs of hand crafted.
These low prices don’t do Folksy any favours either, people want to buy something special and will navigate away from pound shop prices so let them reflect the time and effort taken to hand make.