Need help & advice. No sale in 5 years

Hi guys.
I’ve been so down recently.
I love to create and I’m posting my jewellery wherever I can but no results.
Not even 1 order in 5 years.
I am devastated, I cant quit and I cant rebrand.
Let me know what you think, maybe there is something that I’m doing wrong?
https://folksy.com/shops/ana92pl
Kind regards
Anna x

1 Like

It’s a shame you’ve had no sales in so long. I love your work and favourited one of your pieces a while ago. I love the floral wreath necklace you have in there at the moment too. Maybe you could re-write your descriptions to be more detailed. That way people will have more confidence in what they buy and google will find it more easily. A good rule of thumb is to write as though you are describing it to a blind person and use your keywords in the first couple of paragraphs for google.

1 Like

How are you promoting your shop? You cannot rely on passing trade on Folksy you really need to promote on Social Media, via business cards etc etc to drive people to your shop. Do you join in any of the forum promotion threads? There are a lot of them and it does help to get you noticed.

I would also have a look at your collections - you only have 3 at the moment - might be worth sorting things according to what they are as well as style - eg. earrings, necklaces etc. You can put an item in more than one collection. It might help people navigate round your shop.

On a slightly different note - dont quote me on this as I am not 100% sure but I think there may be regulations regarding making things that look like food - think small children putting them in their mouths.

Hope some sales come your way soon.

1 Like

Hi Anna - I’ve just been taking another look at your lovely shop: your photos are great, your items are gorgeous, you’ve got lots of choice: and I’ve definitely got my eye on a certain pair of earrings for my daughter!

So, the first things I notice is, as Bekki says, your descriptions - go into loads more detail, make them nice and long. It helps buyers, but it will also help you from a search point of view. Make sure you use your keywords too. And maybe if you haven’t touched your descriptions for a long time go back and re-do them - that’s something Google will like as it looks like the page is updating and refreshing with new content.

Maybe also organising your shop into more collections might help - it isn’t possible (I don’t think) to search for a keyword in a specific shop (just site wide I think - I may be wrong?), so breaking things down into more collections might help browsers narrow down a little bit?

Do you regularly post on the forums here, and on FB etc? That may help?

Perhaps a special offer: free delivery or a discount code perhaps?

xx

Hi, I will pin and tweet a few things for you xx

2 Likes

just had a quick look at your shop, love your foody bits, maybe you could add pics of you sculpting them?
I notice in some titles I looked at that it says they are cakes, no mention of earrings or jewellery so they wouldn’t show in relevant searches, also quite a few things seemed to have the wrong titles, ie square earrings when they are clearly stars, reindeer earrings when they are oreos, paw print items with no paw print in sight, things like this may put off a buyer when searching. Worth going back through the listings and double checking content.

Is there a reason why your shop name is what it is? It is quite a difficult one to remember for customers, I believe it is possible to change shop names on Folksy now if you wished.

As others have said it is essential to promote yourself on social media or at fairs, as there is virtually no passing trade on Folksy.

1 Like

Hi You things are lovely and very unusual. I wonder though where you are promoting them outside Folksy, which is essential if you want to be found.
Your Facebook page has no mention of Folksy and your Shop button on there is to a Facebook shop and your blog is to a blog all in Polish ???

There are regulations about selling jewellery that looks like food. Don’t know if that’s part of the reason or not but it’s best to be compliant. Have a look at this article I’ve just found: https://todaywecraft.com/blogs/business/the-food-imitation-and-the-law-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-affect-your-craft-business

Hi Ana
I am no expert but have this advice.
You could put a message on your shop which indicates you make beautiful jewellery in Polymer clay as this is not apparent in your product descriptions.
Your Steam punk stuff is awesome but customers buy on impulse and won’t often contact you to say what length they want the chain, so state what size you provide, with my pendants its usually 18 inches.
You might also want to offer the pendants without the chain.
For the sake of £1 why not offer free postage and on this note say how quickly you can dispatch.
Have you added any of your work to the Folksy gift guides which can be seen on Talk Folksy, you could also ask Folksy if they could include a few items in their guides for Christmas, make the point you have been here 5 years.
To finish things have been a little slow lately but our busy period is just around the corner.
Keep trying and take care.
best wishes
Mel.

2 Likes

I am new to Folksy and feeling a bit bewildered by the need for social networking etc but this has made me understand a bit more how things work. Because you made this comment I noticed you and went on your website and saw how lovely your goods are and now I am thinking of buying something from you as a Christmas present. If your message has the same effect on others then I am sure your business will take off! Best wishes, Judith

3 Likes

Wow, I really admire how you have persevered.

Joining in on the forums is definitely a good way to get your shop seen.

I’m afraid I don’t do pinning or tweeting but I will favourite a few of your items items to try to get them seen on the front page.

1 Like

Thank you!

I do promote, post A lot on fb.
Not do often on insta but I’m trying.
I got lots of visit cards and leaflets.
I’m still posting things even though it generate massive costs during past years :((

9 years im making jewellery.
Before I used to do it in Europe and I didn’t knew that in UK there are special regulations but since I found out I’ve kind of maximized my miniatures and pieces are bigger than before not really possible for anyone to choke.
I have prepared tags to add to envelopes that these should be kept away from little kids.
I’ve got 1 year old boy at home, so I totally get this.

I’ve spent hours and hours posting,changing tags,prices,free shipping,then not free shipping, titles.

Can’t afford to have 2 shops now that’s why I’ve added everything in one and splitted into collections. I noticed many crafters do that.

All advice is really useful thank you so much!

2 Likes

come onto the forums every day…chat to everyone…show your work…join in with the games…
That way people will get to know you.
Once they know you, they will favourite your work and will remember your name, so if they are looking for a gift they are likely to go to your shop to see what you have to offer…
There is a folksy fb page and you can show your listings on there and NOW there is a fb page called the Folksy CLubhouse…join in with those too…
It works…I have had 19 sales this MONTH !!

Good luck x

4 Likes

Hello Anna,

Hi Anna, I had a look at your shop and the only thing which grabbed my attention is that your jewellery is quite unique and it is in one style… So maybe you could add a little variety?, such as some plainer items.

Also do you have a blog or social media page… As that could help to drive customers to your shop and possibly convert to sales.

Hope the above helps.
Christine

1 Like

I agree with everything that has been said so far. Splitting your items into earrings, pendants etc will also help a lot. I am shocked you have sold nothing in 5 years - your pieces are lovely but they do look good enough to eat! If you are using silver then I would put that first in your title followed by the description, eg silver earrings, polymer clay cake designs or something similar. Also, headings like lovely cake etc etc narrows down considerably anyone searching on those words. Do you post on the Folksy Sellers on FB?
Good luck

Christine She does have a blog but it’s in Polish and her Facebook page has no links or mention of Folksy. I did mention this to her somewhere above but have had no response on that.

Ah OK… That explains a lot. Isnt there some sort of translation tool she could use to solve this problem then? This could be what is causing the issues that she is having.

Christine

I suspect the problem she is having is that she has no outside promotion to her shop here and her Facebook page Shop button takes you to a FAcebook shop so how would anyone get to her shop here ?

Yes, that’s correct. Also folksy as a site appear to have no paid for promotion for the site and this also makes things difficult, but this is reflected in the low cost of having a shop on folksy…
When all is said and done it’s best to have several selling platforms as well as your own paid for advertising, offline & self promotion works well too.

Another thing is the browser traffic… If she has not sold much, then she may not have listed much either, which in turn equates to not much chance of her shop address being picked up via bots, crawlers etc, and zero chance of turning up in searches for viewers/customers to find her that way.

As I am sure you are aware getting online sales takes constant work and promoting.

Thanks for replying…maybe she will return to this post and take on. Some of the good advice and pointers outlined.

Christine

I really recommend that
A. You add a big clear link to your Folksy shop on your Facebook page
B. That you join in with the British Crafters Facebook page and consider a promotional package. Could well work out cheaper than keep paying relisting fees.
Xx