Poppies - charity donation

I have just made some wet felted poppy brooches/corsages which I will be listing as soon as I can get some decent photos (hopefully tomorrow). From now until the end of November 2014 I am going to donate 25% of any sales of these poppies to Help the Heroes and additionally I will also donate 10% of any sales of any other poppy items in my shop - I have a few, I like poppies!

Heres a preview of the poppies I will be listing

A worthy cause and beautiful poppies Roz!

I have been creating poppies in my own way for the last few years, if it’s ok, may I show mine too!

Natalie x

No worries - we can have a poppy thread!

Thank you!

X

The poppy as a sign of remembrance really belongs to the British Legion, and they are - in my opinion - the only ones who should be using it as such. By selling poppies as remembrance symbols in place of the official ones, you are competing with the veterans who make them, and taking funds away from that cause. I do wish poppies were ‘trademarked’ to prevent this happening, as it just seems wrong to me that anyone else should benefit.

I apologise if this view causes offence, but it’s something I feel very strongly about.

Sorry Christine if I have caused offence! I do not keep any of the monies from my poppies, it all goes into the charity boxes, I can promise you that.

In the last few years I have given over ÂŁ200 pounds to charity from selling these crocheted items.

Natalie x

Don’t mean to cause offence - I don’t intend to “cash in” on remembrance poppies. I made the poppies without any thought for remembrance day really just as another craft item and then thought it would be nice to donate something to charity if any were sold, likewise with my other poppy items - I just love poppies.

P.S. I have removed the reference to remembrance day from the title of this thread.

I too love poppies and use them a lot in my work, but I consciously avoid promoting them during the run up to remembrance day, as I don’t want to tread on the official poppy sellers’ toes. Many veterans are involved with the making of poppies each year, and I can’t help but feel they should have the monopoly on it. I know a lot of crafters make ‘everlasting’ poppies now, and most donate proceeds to the charity, but it still feels to me that it’s somehow taking something away from those veterans.

I think everyone has to act on their own consciences, and it’s not my place to say whether people should or shouldn’t contribute in their own way, it’s just a personal view. No offence taken or intended :smile:

My late father was a member of the British Legion (having fought in WW2) and always carried the standard in the local procession, so it has a special significance. To me, buying a little poppy each year from an old soldier is part of the whole remembrance event, and I wouldn’t consider wearing any other kind. That simple little poppy is so symbolic.

3 Likes

I will only ever wear a poppy bought from a veteran poppy seller for Remembrance Day. Sadly you see people nowadays at RD parade who have to ‘outdo’ everyone else with bigger, posher poppies. That, in my opinion, isn’t the spirit of RD at all. It will always be the basic paper poppy for me.

OK you have convinced me - I will not be selling the poppies to wear but will probably mount them on stems and sell as home decor. Will still stand by my donation pledge for any of my poppy items though.

I have changed my listing and removed all reference to poppies and donation, although I will still donate as I have always done to both charities, which I have a very strong affiliation to, being from a military family back ground, being moved from pillar to post around the world with Dad’s postings and living in army quarters most of my life.

I have also suggested I could crochet the flower brooches in differing colours on request.

Natalie x