A change to the way sales figures are displayed on shop pages

Well I’m pleased to see this post, as I was baffled this morning when I spotted a shop with no sales figure displayed, when I knew they had had some, and when I clicked I could still see the sold items.
Maybe instead of removing the figure a shop could have an additional “new shop” sticker/banner so that sales were seen in perspective?

6 Likes

As a seller, this doesn’t affect me (I’m over 50 sales). As a buyer, I don’t really think this change was necessary. I bought something a while ago from a shop that had no sales. I liked it, so I bought it. Everyone has zero sales when they start out and surely customers must realise that.

1 Like

I wondered why the number of views of my sold items had gone up.

I’m coolish about this, as I think it unfairly penalizes those of us who sell higher value items. It is easy to shift a lot of £2.50 products, but when the nature of you materials means you have to ask more than £30, you will get few sales (but also make more money and get more commission for Folksy into the bargain).

Sam x

8 Likes

I’ve already posted here to say how much I hate it as it’s really annoyed me. I hate seeing it every time I view my shop, it’s really put my back up. Grr!! I don’t want a ‘new shop’ sticker either. Perhaps we could have the choice of how it’s displayed

I’d be happy if you removed the number altogether. I don’t think it helps buyers at all, it’s really meaningless to them. The ‘view sold items’ link on the other hand is nice and clear, and will be useful for them. As sellers, we have the information readily available on our dashboard - the Shop Front should be designed first and foremost to provide a good experience for Buyers.

8 Likes

I agree with you Helen @HelenCliffordArt although I don’t think that information is readily available anywhere else. Yes you can try a custom search on your stats but mine won’t load if I put such a large timescale in and its a bit of a faff! - unless I’m missing something :slight_smile:

If you go to ‘statistics’ on your dashboard, the total sold items for your shop is just underneath the 'SOLD ITEMS’
Kim: :slight_smile:

Took me a while to find it too! It’s a bit like going into the supermarket and finding they have moved everything around!! xx

Oh yes - thanks for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone selling buttons may reach 50 in a week, but someone selling sculpture may take years. Does that make one of them “better” than the other? It’s a hangover from ebay mentality of “can you trust this trader?”, and not really necessary here.

Could we just have the “View sold items” for ALL shops, not just those who have sold less than X items?

9 Likes

I have a question please Camilla @folksycontent for the “View Sold Items” - are they in order? - so the when you view them the latest sale will be top left of sold items? With my British Crafters hat on I keep a note of what has sold in the promoted shops (previously by number) but with the shops with lesser sales I still want to know whether they have sold something and if so what! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another small thing with this. I’ve had people favouriting my sold items since the changes began. I’d much rather the favourited my in stock items.

Sam x

1 Like

I have been bored with looking at my pathetic 29 sales! Which has not moved since December. Maybe it will help! But either way, at least it’s something different for me to look at.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve had this too…lots of views and a few favourites for sold items.
I suppose it may help me to decide what to make again, but most of my items are limited as the fabric I have used may not be available again. The ‘Sold’ items does not show all items sold either, just the most recent. I don’t know what the ‘cut off’ for that is.

I have always found that the most recently sold item is top left of the page so they appear to be in order @dottiedesigns but it doesn’t show how many have sold of 1 particular item, which might be helpful.
Kim
x

2 Likes

@KBCreations Very True. You often have to grab a nice fabric print before it’s gone forever and then you can’t get any more, even if you wanted to.

Sam x

1 Like

I’ve sold 4 items. I hope that when I’ve sold 40 or 400 I will have the generosity of heart to remove the stigma of showing tiny sales figures and allow new shops to thrive.
I’d also point out that to a new shopper on Folksy, seeing ‘30 sales’ is also fairly meaningless compared to their usual shops yhat deal in hundreds and thousands!

I don’t think it stops new shops from thriving…we were all new at some point with 0 sales. I just think if it is going to happen then the figure should be more like 10. There are some shops here who have worked very hard for a number of years to reach 20, 30 or 40 odd sales and they deserve to have that displayed if they want to. Maybe the fairest way is to make the displaying of the number of sales as an optional thing.
I don’t think anyone here is lacking a ‘generosity of heart’ we are just discussing our thoughts as to whether this is a good or bad idea for all shops, and whether it is actually helpful to buyers.

Kim

3 Likes

I don’t think that it’s got anything to do with “generosity of heart.” I just think that they should either show the figures, or not show them at all. At the moment, a shop with, say 40 sales (relatively high in value), looks less successful than a shop that has sold 51 inexpensive items. I don’t think that’s fair. Those who sell more expensive items have to work much harder for each individual sale (although the work needed to make the same amount of money is probably equivalent).

Sam x

2 Likes

I still hate this change, I liked that wee number. I liked seeing it creep up, and when I say creep, I mean it - it’s taken me years to achieve those precious 44 sales. Years and a significant amount of money in fees.

I agree with whoever (edit - Sam) said it should be an “all or nothing” move. Either every single shop shows a “number of sales” figure (as it did before) or no shops show it.

Making it conditional on a certain number of sales is a pretty sucky move. No matter which number you choose, someone will be on the wrong side of it. I’m caught near the “magic number” and it feels like I’ve just been hauled right back to the starting line.

My vote is for all or none. The two tier thing you’ve now given us is useless.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand your statement. I don’t see how someone else having 500 sales means my shop can’t thrive. My shop will thrive, or not, dependent on MY work, not theirs.

1 Like