Art chat thread August 2020

A very rare Acrylic painting by me, it may be a while before we see another… :grin:
Semi-abstract Seascape.

3 Likes

Ooh Graham , I like that, you should do more of them x
today I am relisting this one…

2 Likes

Avocet, watercolour. Sunday splash :art:

3 Likes

I posted in the July thread about the gel prints I have been making. I continued into August to the exclusion of most other art related activity. I even allowed everything in my shop to expire, although that was neglect not design!

I’ve taken the opportunity to look afresh at what I had listed and I’m editing descriptions etc. I’ve also deleted all the collections and restarted with a simpler approach by medium. Once everything is up and running again I’ll think about adding collections based on subject.

Here’s a couple more of my gel prints, each 30cm square (12") made with acrylic paint on paper. The first is called ‘Diving for Rubies’ while the second is called ‘Infinity Grid’.

5 Likes

I spat out my tea in surprise when I saw you’ve done an acrylic painting Graham @GKWatercolourArt. Though it is very good. You should do more.

2 Likes

Beautiful work

2 Likes

Today’s new listing… think it’s a nice one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cheers Chris, this came about because my wife wants to learn how to paint seascapes in acrylic, we had some fun yesterday, I taught her what I know but I’m not sure I’m the best for acrylic lessons, not a fan myself :face_with_raised_eyebrow::grin:

1 Like

I struggle a lot with Acrylics Graham but have over 200 tubes of paint to use up, so I will keep going until they have all been used…and maybe by then, I might have got the hang of them…you should definitely do more.
Great work everyone.
Good to see your work Garry @GarrysPaintStudio
Ian @IanBertramArtist those are very interesting…what are Gel prints.? you will have to explain to use…sounds interesting x

I have experimented with acrylics but it felt like painting with treacle. You can water them down of course, but if you’re doing that then why not use watercolour or gouache? I perfer oils to acrylics, but they take an age to dry.

1 Like

I’d have thought oils were even more treacley than acrylics! You can get different types though, I prefer the more liquid ones that can pour rather than the stiff ones from a tube.
Can’t stand using oils at all though. I got a commission that someone really wanted done in oils so have tried them out once since school… never again.

1 Like

I would describe oils as buttery rather than treacly. Oils retain their fluidity better than acrylics from the tube which dry too quickly for my liking. But I do like the sound of the liquid ones. I’m up for a bit of experimentation, though I can’t see watercolour being displaced as my favourite medium.

1 Like

Yes, whichever type you’re using, if it’s acrylics you’ve got to be quick if you want them to blend. I definitely wouldn’t do experimentation on a hot day, even I get frustrated with them then.

One thing I used to do that needed a pourable paint - dribble paintings!

3 Likes

a set of bookmarks today
https://folksy.com/items/7214036-TWO-hand-painted-laminated-fantasy-bookmarks-ref-F-595-

3 Likes

Here’s a blog post about gel printing. Note that it talks about Gelli Plates. This is a brand name, the other major maker being Gel Press - which are cheaper, but with a slightly smaller range of sizes. I’m not using them in the conventional way though. I’m writing a blog post of my own to describe how I work.

https://handprinted.co.uk/blogs/blog/gelli-plates-1

1 Like

thank you Ian…I have vaguely seen Geli Plates on Hochanda…x

I painted this one yesterday.

4 Likes

Just finished this a3 watercolour of Port Isaac, Cornwall.

6 Likes

Doc Martin country…love it Chris @ChrisStoneArtist
today I have one of my purple fantasy pics
https://folksy.com/items/7458771-original-art-purple-fantasy-painting-Ref-f-130-

3 Likes

Today’s listing… another nice one. On a roll I think

2 Likes