Art exhibition - ideas

Hello everyone - I’ve just got some exciting news about my next exhibition, which will be a sole exhibition and for which I will need at least 25 artworks. The theme will be ‘The Natural World’ and I’d like to focus the works on animals and floral, with an emphasis on Coastal flora and fauna, as the exhibition is being held in a coastal venue.

I think I have about 7 or 8 suitable ones I could take now, but thought it would be a bit of fun if you’d have any ideas of compositions I could work on.

I know I’d like to do some Puffins and some sunset designs, but what would do you think you’d like to look at in an art exhibition?? I’m starting to put together some ideas this week and really need to start work next week (!) on the designs as the exhibition will open in March.

Any ideas would be received with interest! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I think of the coast I think of my Granddad that lived on the Isle of Wight, so I immediately think of a lighthouse and the RNLI, if you are near anything like that? Find a suitable place to paint from to combine an RNLI boat with surrounding trees, sea etc

1 Like

Congratulations on the exhibition. I always like some sort of logical progression when I go to an exhibition - if its about an artist or art movement I like the works in chronological order so I can see how they developed/ changed over time. So for me progressing from the sea to the beach, then up onto the cliffs or dunes and the landscape beyond would make sense/ be appealing/ tell a story and lead me round the exhibition. This would give scope to have pieces dedicated to a particular animal or plant for that habitat or how people interact with it (I’m thinking things like crabs and anemones in a rock pool and then another piece showing people rock pooling (something which I enjoyed doing as a kid)).

1 Like

Congratulations on your exhibition. I love your Waterlilies one in your shop and that would work as it is or do something similar with a rock pool. Jelly fish always look good and you can use your imagination with colours and style. Dolphins, Narwhals and Whales are popular.
I like all kinds of coastal areas, sand dunes and grasses, shingle and nesting birds, winter waves crashing against rocks and lighthouses. Coastal areas are great for panoramic views. You’re going to be really busy, the time will go really quickly, try not to stress out and enjoy the whole process. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @HandcraftedbyPicto, @SashaGarrett and @GrimmExhibition - it’s very exciting and great fun to get the chance to plan a whole new series of pics. I started a lighthouse design a while back and never completed it, so I might have another go at working that one up; I like the progression idea too and that’s made me also think about the titles/ descriptions - ie are there going to be any on the walls, will they expect me to descrisbe each peice or do one poster that sums up the whole thing etc etc. I also like the idea of the rock pool as I love layering sheers to get depth in water, so that would give me a great subject to focus on! Thanks again - I’m off to scribble down some ideas now!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations Heidi, it must be very exciting.

A continuation of rock pools could be progressing to the underwater world. Corals, strange but beautiful fish and creatures, changes of colour as the water gets deeper, the effect of sunlight as it shines through the surface, highlighting waves and water motion to create movement.

On another theme, what about the earth as birds must see it.
I brought a beautiful vase at a craft fair, which was inspired by the Earth from above. The artist had used the photos taken by astronauts as inspiration, I brought it because of this reason.
Good luck with whatever you chose, I would love to see the results
Joy

1 Like

Lovely ideas @Blackthorpe - lots more to think about now!! :slight_smile:

Thank you Heidi.
I forgot to mention Seahorses, looking at your lovely work, they might fit in quite nicely.
I just love these tiny creatures.

1 Like