Can anyone tell me why?!

Hello everyone. Could you have a look at my shop. Can you see my listings? Literally months with no sales. My other platforms are fine but Folksy is a non runner for me. Can anyone tell me why?

The listing is not clear if includes a frame. I know says at the top of your page but initially I did not read that. Perhaps offer the option of a frame. To buy a print then to source a frame is fine but needs to be clear.

Some of your materials are unclear such as love, glossy, matte etc. Should be photo paper, glossy paper, etc

How is the print packaged, board backed envelope? Is the print protected in a plastic sleeve in case the envelope gets wet.

Think if you were a customer not the seller what would entice you to buy.

I think, for me, you use the word unique a lot… but you have 100 of each print available so I am not sure that unique is the right word.

I wonder if they might sell better if you were selling them framed? If you were buying a gift for someone that might appeal more? Perhaps you could have it as a variant with the option to buy a framed version.

Hello Debs…oh I love your Norn Iron prints…makes me homesick, even after 30 years away. Pre covid I visited my son and his family regularly, but love the wee accents of my grandchildren when they video call me. So…about your shop, maybe if you gave an option of a frame for the prints. That way they would be great as gifts. I love the prints but would be thinking of them as gifts and having to go and look for a frame would be annoying. I do love them though…I’m already thinking of Christmas (hopefully spent in Co. Antrim).
Have you thought of smaller size prints…say A5…a group of A5 prints would make a nice feature (again with the option of a frame) Its worth noting what others say. Good luck with the shop…things seem generally quiet now…I’m sure it will pick up.

Thanks Geraldine
I just thought that it would make them too expensive with a frame. It’s going to add a tenner to the price and then postage will be much more too to cover my costs of the packaging. I’ll maybe put one up and see what happens x x I also have an etsy shop and have over 800 sales - all unframed.!!! It’s weird isn’t it?! Hope you’ll remember me at Christmas time :rofl::relaxed:

Folksy doesn’t have the same large browsing customer base that Etsy does so you need to drive traffic to your shop via social media or accept that sales to browsing customers might occur but on a sporadic basis. To maximise your chances of browsing customers finding you via the folksy search you need to make the most of your tags - have you included things like ‘typography print’, ‘definition print’ etc. (And check the current intellectual property rights position of using phrases like ‘like of duty’ in your tags - I think you might be infringing on BBC’s IP by using it in your tags)

1 Like

I find the Folksy and Etsy audiences are quite different - for me, Etsy sales are lower priced impulse buy items, while sales on Folksy are fewer but generally higher value. So I think the increased cost of adding the frame option here is not a problem.

1 Like

I had a look and I think you should add a closeup of the definitions - I couldn’t read them all in the framed ‘full image’ picture. I also thought the prints were digital, because the mock ups are obviously digital. Can you add a photo of the actual paper so people get an idea of the look and feel of it?

Seconding everyone else; Etsy has huge traffic but Folksy is more niche. Try making your titles a bit more what people will search, as opposed to just lowercase words in a list; that works on Etsy but I think Folksy buyers are a looking for more high value, giftable items.

Hi Bella - just my thoughts on frames…

I sell prints too, and the majority I sell are unframed. I used to sell everything framed but the main reasons I stopped (apart from postage costs - especially overseas - and risk of damage in transit) was because I’d have to keep in a large stock of frames which was costly and took up loads of space, I had to ensure the frames I used were consistent (as in quality, but also always consistently and permanently available), but also a matter of taste. Not everyone wants the same frame - some want simple black or white, some want rustic, some want modern, some want dark wood, some want light wood, some want a frame that fits precisely, some want an oversized frame, etc etc, and it’s impossible to offer all choices all the time! I find it’s better to offer prints in standard sizes that people can find frames for really easily in a wide choice of styles either online or the high street. I feel that gives people more choice.

I would say too, maybe show more images of your designs, make full use of your tags, ensure your descriptions are easy to understand (eg, paper finishes, etc - I think a ‘lay person’ might be confused about the word oyster for example: is it the finish, is it the colour…), and make your descriptions flow and be less ‘keyword packed’.

Have a look at your stats - are people looking and leaving, or are they just not finding you? (Maybe give it a few days on that though as people on the forum will be looking at your shop which will give an artificial result!)

After that it’s all about the promotion stuff - driving people to your shop, telling them it’s there…

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi @BellaArtesandCrafts. I dont mind buying prints that are not framed. When I bought a print from @jamesgreenprintworks it came unframed. I was able to have my print professionally framed in a frame matching other prints that I have. Good Luck

1 Like