Can foreign customers see prices in their own currency?

I am currently conversing with a potential customer in the US, who is seeing my prices in pounds and wants to know what they are in dollars. I know that on Etsy you can set up your own page to see all prices in the currency of your choice. Is this possible here on Folksy? I can’t find it anywhere and its certainly not covered in the buying FAQ that relates to customers from outside the UK. @folksycontent

I don’t believe that it is possible to toggle between different currencies on folksy. I just checked on paypal and their dollar exchange rate is £1 = $1.22 at the moment. Not ideal having to sit there with your calculator and do the maths as you browse but that will give the right price, I’ve often found discrepancies between what Etsy think the price of an item is and what paypal actually charge because they use different exchange rates (with paypal’s never being as good as etsy’s so the price I end up paying being higher).
Hope the sale works out for you.
Sasha

Thanks, Sasha. My husband thought the rate was about £1 = $1.2 but, as you say, it’s not ideal doing it that way. I think if she does decide to buy it’ll be easier all round if she uses Etsy, which would be a shame…

I hadn’t even considered that overseas buyers cannot view items in their own currency? Is this something @Folksyadmin are going to change? It would certainly make the site more user friendly and inviting for overseas shoppers.

1 Like

I just direct people to XE for up to date currency rates for people that ask.

Google “What is £X in $?” and Google will give you the correct price at current exchange rates :wink:

Sam x

1 Like

Thanks @curiousseagull and @SamanthaStanley for your suggestions. I have bookmarked an online currency converter which I use for my own purposes, but my point was really that having to go down that route is an extra hassle for people and only a guide. Some customers want the ease and security of knowing exactly what the total cost is going to be before pressing the buy button.

1 Like

Totally! But as this topic appears to have come up before and nothing has changed you could be waiting a long time for it to be fixed, as there really is no other way of doing it at the moment.

Sam x

1 Like

It’s not currently possible to show the price in a customer’s own currency on Folksy. It would be great but it’s expensive for us to implement so, as 92% of our sales come from the UK, we’ve had to put it further down our priority list. I agree it would be great though and we have looked at it before and will look at it again. In the meantime I would suggest converting the price (and postage) - you can do that here – and let the customer know that Paypal will automatically convert it into their own currency when they pay.

Thanks for confirming and providing an update, Camilla. Good to know it is on the priority list :slight_smile: