Caution: Fake orders to look out for

I’m glad I had an extra hour this morning to deal with it all…I needed it! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Go to card payments on your dashboard and there should be a place to cancel in the main text.

1 Like

I’ve just cancelled my Stripe account on the Stripe website itself, using the account settings. I have received an email from them confirming this, and have taken the opportunity to give them feedback (which they invited via reply to the email) on the problems we are encountering. I then went to my Folksy dashboard and there is a note saying that we must advise the support team at Folksy if we cancel, so I have just done that too. However on my shop details it is still showing payment accepted by card, so I hope there will be a prompt removal of this.

3 Likes

Yep this has happened to me too. Card used via USA bank which I could not see at time of payment, email address: egerjgatlingj90278@*** (not that unbelievable, could be a birthdate - 2nd of sept 1978), delivery to: UK name & address.

Cardholder gets refunded, recipient gets beautiful hand-printed card for free, Stripe or the bank gets my £15 (can’t figure out which) if I lose the dispute.

BTW: Stripe recommends you rollover & accept the dispute.
“If you believe the payment was made with a stolen card, unfortunately you should accept the dispute”

Stripe’s Radar fraud prevention toolset didn’t work, so I am penalised & I get to waste my time trying to recover £15, & steam over the outrageous injustice of it!!! (Banks are responsible for security, not end users)

I’ve had irritating exchanges with Stripe who are shocking & I’ve lost confidence in.
I’d like to be able to use a different card payment processor.

Thanks for your helpful safeguard tips Sarah @dotterypottery :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not cancelling Stripe, yet (tho am seriously considering it)… but I’m no longer recommending them & have left them a lousy review on Trust Pilot.

I think this is a good case for being able to message customers directly. Then if something looks suspicious at least there’s an opportunity to convo the customer.

3 Likes

Not all gmail, some attempts on my account which were luckily blocked were Yahoo

1 Like

Thanks for that. Checked mine and all good. Blocked 3… one was my test today and the other 2 were one sale here and another elsewhere which went through so a simple case of wrong code which is what the check is there for.
I set up my Stripe in October last year and it must have ticked it as default.

1 Like

Sarah @dotterypottery & Joy

CVC on mine was approved

1 Like

Yes, that;s what I was just going to pop in and say - I don’t know if the CVC check would have protected against fraud in this particular instance - we don’t know how this fraud is being committed. They could have actual cards in front of them with the CVC number so it would make no difference whatsoever.

It was just a suggestion in the Stripe e-mail I got ( I think they are trying to cover themselves)

I honestly assumed fraud protection was part of the fee we were paying to Stripe - shows how much I know. I probably should have read the very, very fine print!

2 Likes

Just checked and mine passed the CVC check too so it wouldn’t have made any difference to mine either!

1 Like

This is shocking news for Folksy sellers, we will all have to be extra careful and check all stripe transactions before we ship which is not ideal with the Christmas selling season looming. Folksy I hope you manage to sort this out as we all have enough to worry about without this as an added complication. I would also ask why we cannot have an alternative, more secure way for Card payments to be made ? Is it down to cost ??

3 Likes

@theprecioushare
I have asked Folksy too, whether it would be possible to have an alternative system, but I would imagine their first task is to sort out the existing disputes with Stripe. I have cancelled my Stripe account as I just feel it isn’t worth the worry. And if they can’t keep the transactions safe I am concerned about what they are doing with my personal data!

4 Likes

Customers can normally make card payment via Paypal. I used paypal only until October last year when I added Stripe. So there is an alternative method already.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that until this fraud appeared everybody was quite happy that Switch was indeed secure… but that doesn’t stop someone using stolen card details and I’m not quite sure how any automated online system could work that out… after all… could you ?

1 Like

I guess that until now - we were not aware that as sellers we would be held liable to refund fraudulent transactions. (Banks in the UK seem to cover the cost of fraudulent transactions)
I wonder if this is the same with Paypal?

I’m going to have to go and check.

Just found this information for Paypal:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and link Sarah, this is opening a whole new can of worms!

3 Likes

Hi,

I was one of those victims last week. Luckily for me it was a small order but it still makes me cross that someone could sink so low. They clearly don’t care about the love and care that goes into our hand crafted products on here. Folksy have been very supportive. The problem is you have to ship within 3 days but you don’t know for a few more days if you have been paid by which time it’s too late :worried:I’m not impressed though with Stripe suggesting I change my Radar settings with them to pick up dodgy CVC numbers when it means I have to pay Stripe more for this extra protection! I know you pay more commission with Paypal but at least you know it’s secure and you don’t have to wait a week for your funds.

4 Likes

Charging victims of a crime £15 for the privilege is a bitter pill to swallow. Seriously considering removing Stripe altogether, uless this is fixed quickly. We’d be as well just posting items out to random addresses ourselves, as at least we’d just lose the cost of the item, not an additional £15 on top!!! Wow. That’s really putting the boot in.

3 Likes

Just checking their FB page and some sellers are getting chargeback after 4 months, even though the customers have had the goods and are happy, plus the fee for said charge back. Their feedback is atrocious.

4 Likes

I must say that Stripe have reacted very quickly to my email where I explained why I was cancelling my account. They have given further clarification of what their actual processes are with respect to both issues I questioned, ie the fee for fraudulent transactions, and the copious id proof they are asking of some account holders. I thought it might help others if I copied and pasted that section of their reply to me. It doesn’t alter my decision to cancel, but I was glad to hear their reasoning… This is an extract of the email to me:

"When a dispute is issued by the cardholder, the bank automatically deducts the disputed amount from Stripe as well as a $15 fee for processing the dispute.*

In the event that you win, we return the full amount of the charge and this fee to you, although the cardholder’s bank does not return that fee to Stripe. Unlike most processors, Stripe chooses to refund this fee because we feel strongly that businesses shouldn’t be penalized for disputes that are resolved in their favor.

In terms of verification requirements, Stripe is required to collect, verify, and maintain information on the individuals associated with each Stripe account. These requirements come from our regulators and financial partners, and are intended to prevent individuals from using complex schemes to hide terrorist financing, money laundering, tax evasion, and other financial crimes…

*I know that it can be concerning having to give personal information online, but I can assure you that we take security very seriously here at Stripe. As a payments processor, security is our top priority! Our Privacy Policy explains why we need this information, what we do with it, and how we safeguard it. "

5 Likes

I’ve refunded before a dispute is raised (as per the guidelines from Stripe) - I guess I can’t claim back the money now even though I’ve sent the goods?
Would we actually win a dispute if a stolen card is used as the owner of the card has not authorised the payment?

I suppose I should e-mail stripe about it - meh!

2 Likes