Caution: Fake orders to look out for

Camilla There is a another small point needed here. It Is the case that if person A orders and pays via Stripe on Folksy but sends to person B… the only information provided to the seller which is pertinent to the name and address is:;
1.Email of the buyer… which may or may not identify the buyer but can just as easily be totally meaningless
2. Name and Address— where the order is to be sent… Note in this case the Name is Not that of the buyer but of the person who is to receive the package.

If you want to identify / reduce fraudulent purchases then PLEASE (I have asked before) fix this so that Stripe provides the Seller with the Customers Name as well as that pertinent to the delivery address.

There is No reason at all why the actual customer name should not provided by Stripe, I use Stripe quite a lot and Folksy is the only site I have come across where this frustrating anomaly has shown itself.

5 Likes

Thanks and I see

I’m glad I don’t sell very low value items. What a nightmare.

Seems i’m a bit late seeing this and have been caught out, and I didn’t notice until Stripe have come back to me and are now charging me £15 to investigate it!! flippin nightmare, all for a £4.50 order, I’m so angry it’s taken me ages to contact them. Beware everyone

2 Likes

Oh gosh, so sorry you got stung Sarah- hopefully they will investigate it promptly and refund you!

These cases where Stripe are asking for the seller to refund the money or charging £15 to investigate it are puzzling me.
Seems that Stripe are implying that the seller is at fault. But sellers don’t have the option to accept or decline a payment do they? The payment just arrives, so how can Stripe make it sound like it is the sellers fault that someone has been allowed to make fraudulent purchase? It is Stripe that have allowed the payment so I don’t understand why they want to charge the seller an Investigation fee or ask the seller to refund the money.

2 Likes

It seems to be a US thing even more reason to find a UK institution that will rePlace Stripe. Never known a bank charge you for proving fraud either buyer or seller as both innocent parties. May be worth checking with the CAB

3 Likes

Stripe offer chargeback detection for 4% per transaction why are UK business not offered this?

@plumporridge Unfortunately at the moment Stripe do put the liability on the sellers, because of this we’re currently in the process of switching our integration with them which will change this. We don’t agree that sellers should have to pay the £15 dispute fee, so we’ll be reimbursing this fee for the sellers affected.

4 Likes

Thank you @kimfolksy for your reply. Seems a shame for Folksy to have to pay it too because it’s not Folksy’s fault either! I hope that you have some sort of redress with the credit card company so that you are not out of pocket. I haven’t had Stripe for very long and it has run very smoothly for me (touching wood!), but their handling of this makes me very uneasy.

3 Likes

Yes this happened to me too recently for a small purchase. If you get an email from Stripe regarding a possible fraud make sure you respond straight away and refund as they only give you 24 hours before they charge you £15. I’ve sent receipts etc to try and get the monies back but it takes them about a month before they’ll respond. One rule for one…
Huge thanks to Folksy admin though they have been great at keeping in touch and refunding the £15. Really good to know they have our backs on this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Folksy with all the problems with verification, which is still going on plus this unreasonable charging can we have a UK based card company. Not sure if SumUp do that yet but for card and customer not present they are fantastic.

2 Likes

Not sure I want to pay an extra 4%.

1 Like

I’ve just got a possible fraud e-mail from Stripe for a payment made on 14th October! That’s quite a while to let me know!
Looks like I’ll have to refund then :frowning:

This whole debacle is really odd. Who actually ended up getting my product then?

Has anyone been contacted by the recipent of one of these parcels to say that they haven’t ordered from you or have none of you actually posted anything out?

I’m just going to double check my orders from yesterday now too - this all adds extra time to each order but at least I won’t lose products.

Just refunded the payment. So, is it the assumption that I won’t be charged the £15 now then as I have refunded within 24 hours?

My little bee buttons went to a home where they weren’t even wanted - that makes me sad/mad! :honeybee:

1 Like

Another quick question:

Does a purchase through Folksy require a CVC number? I can’t remember.
Because I’ve been advised the Stripe e-mail to turn on CVC verifiction on the dashboard so that it declines any payments without the matching CVC number

Where is that button… do you know ? I just had a look and can’t find it against my 'personal ’ Stripe account and why is it not a Folksy site wide setting ?

I’ve just done a test purchase from my own shop. Ifound there was a minimum payment of 30p so had to put my test product quantity up so I could buy two but it then rejected my payment with a card error when I used the wrong cvc… so Dottery maybe you could try it… set up something for 30p, sign out and buy it on card but using wrong cvc.

1 Like

After reading through this, I have decided to stop using Stripe through my shop.

When there are so many uncertains and such a lot of extra checks to be made, using this for sending out £2.75 cards doesn’t really seem worth the aggro.

I have looked for a cancellation ‘button’ but can’t find one - does anyone know how to cancel this payment link? @Folksyadmin?

TIA

1 Like

You read my mind…I’ve already been doing this Joy @JOYSofGLASS

Yes, the payment should be rejected anyway I think through Folksy’s verification process if the CVC number doesn’t match.
Not sure enabling the block button on the Stripe dashboard will make much difference for fraudulent payments as they probably have the CVC number anyway.

Here’s a screenshot of the Stripe dashboard if anyone wants to enable the block if CVC verification fails:

You need to go into settings - radar rules. Then “when should a payment be blocked” and enable “block if CVC verification fails”

1 Like