Confused about GDPR? Ask your questions here!

Same question from me too. Initially I was daunted by the whole thing, but after reading up I’m fine with it all. Just don’t know where to put my Privacy Policy??

Any progress on this Camilla? Also, do you have a template available? Thanks.

1 Like

There will be a ‘My Privacy Policy’ section on your shops very soon Alison and @GlitteramaCrafts - we were hoping it would be live last week @StephanieGuy but unfortunately trying to implement it has it’s triggered some weird glitch that I don’t totally understand but @dougfolksy has spent days trying to sort out. He thinks it should be live soon though.

1 Like

Hello – sorry about the delay on that!
As @folksycontent said, there was a bug that crept into our test code for this work that I wasn’t happy deploying until it was identified and fixed.
Well, it’s been identified and fixed, now, and pushed live.
Sorry again for the delay!

1 Like

Camilla @folksycontent Will folksy be deleting personal data relating to orders from our dashboards after a certain time has passed? I might state that I will delete/ shred any personal info relating to an order after 2 years but I can’t delete the info from my dashboard.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I will check.

Aren’t we supposed to keep records for 5 years? Or have I imagined it… :thinking::joy:

Copied from the HMRC website
If you sent your 2016 to 2017 tax return online by 31 January 2018, you must keep your records until at least the end of January 2023.
So you do need to keep your business accounts for between 5 and 6 years (I’ve changed the default to info relating to orders will be kept for 7 years, info relating to enquiries will be deleted after a year).

2 Likes

@SashaGarrett you’re both right, you need to keep financial records for five years but we used the timescale of two years in the privacy policy as it relates to retaining personal data, which you shouldn’t need for tax records. However, we’ll change it to six years – sellers can still choose to edit it and specify their own time frame.

Thanks Sasha
Just changed the two to a six.

Joy xx

I notice that the link was up in my shop today with a Save and enable button…all done…Thanks admin x

You need to show where the income comes from though, so will likely include some personal data?

Many thanks, that makes life easy for us!

That’s right, it should be 6 years. That might horrify some people reading this, but sellers have to comply.

Do we need to put links to the Royal Mails policies and other companies we use. Such as Google Analytics and other services we may use? Or is this not necessary @folksycontent I’m on a FB group that makes it all look so daunting.

I can’t be sure, so please don’t take this as legal advice but I don’t think the ICO is expecting every independent designer and maker to list all the policies of every courier or third party they use. We’ve included links to Paypal’s, Stripe’s and our own in standard Privacy Policy for everyone’s shop.

It’s about best endeavours really, so if it ever came to a point where you were investigated the ICO would want to see that you are aware of your responsibilities - mainly keeping data safe and secure, which in this case would probably mean using reputable companies (rather than handing a customer’s address over to someone who knocked on your door and offered to delivery your parcels at a cut rate!). It’s so easy to get tied up in knots but try not to panic!

6 Likes

Yes thanks Camilla. I agree, I believe that yes we have to comply and do our best. But they are probably after the big fish.

Thanks @folksycontent just enabled mine and so pleased I don’t have to figure out the wording myself!! Does anyone know if we have to display our policy on our social media pages, especially Facebook?

1 Like

Thanks so very much for all your hard work with this @folksycontent and @dougfolksy I really appreciate it, it was so very helpful to just be able to enable the privacy policy!
xx

5 Likes

Thanks so much Camilla and Folksy for putting the document together, really appreciated!

1 Like