Copper sheeting help please

HI, does anybody know what thickness of gauge of copper sheeting Id need to create a small box for me to solder, like the main body of a matchbox. It needs to be thin enough for me to cut with a normal household appliance(not sure what yet)and pliable for me to bend, but strong enough to hold its shape.Thanks

0.5 mm should be plenty strong enough but still thin enough to cut with gardening scissors. You can use these instead of tin snips, which is what most jewellers use.

Sam x

1 Like

Thanks so much, I can’t believe I didn’t ask here sooner!
Ive ordered 2 small pieces of 0.5 to give it a go.
Would craft wire cutters work on it?

I would have thought so, but they might be difficult to create smooth cuts with if they have short blades. You can use a 2 cut file and 600 wet and dry paper to even out the edges when you have finished. Copper is quite soft and flexible when you first buy it, but as you bend it into shape it will get harder.

Sam x

Thanks. Hopefully rough edges can be hidden with the idea I have. #fingercrossed

@SamanthaStanley Unfortunately the 0.5 is too thick, but thanks for giving me a starting point to work from. I think I may try a 0.1 and work my way up if that’s too thin, then solder round the whole thing.

1 Like

Be very careful when soldering 0.1 mm sheet. Depending on the melting point of the solder you are using, you could easily melt the sheet. I know 0.5 seems relatively chunky, but once you go down below 0.4 you are going to have to be very careful to heat the piece evenly so as not to end up with a melted mess.

Sam x

Ok thanks.Im glad you told me that as I had a hard time finding any. im in a bad mood now so I may give the whole project some breathing space.

I have some 0.1mm that I use for punching shapes from . It’s quite a hard finish and could send you a piece if you want to try it.

@stevenanddaisy That would be fantastic, thanks. Il pm you.

Open up a tube of tomato puree, and see if you can get that to do what you want it to do Claire! :rofl:

1 Like

@SueTrevor Not a bad idea, Ive considered using a cola can.