Craft Stall Table Opinions

Hi all,

I have booked myself onto my first event where I will have a craft stall, which is very exciting!

I am looking to buy a folding table but all of the ones I have found are only approx 70cm tall. This seems quite low down for people who are walking around, especially since my items will not be laying flat on the table but they will be hanging from a pin board which will be standing upright on the table.

Can I ask what you all think, is 70cm too low down?

Thanks,

Jennie xl

That’s about standard table height, and your items will be higher if they’re on a board anyway. Don’t forget not everyone is tall, you don’t want everything out of reach of shorter people, or people in wheelchairs.

I agree with Christine. The one I have is 70cm in height (it’s a foldable camping table from Argos!), and it’s fine. You can use items on your table to raise height (I used apple crates) if you wish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6FT-FOLDING-TABLE-STALL-MARKET-FETE-FAIR-ART-CAMPING-TRADESHOW-FOLDAWAY-CAR-BOOT-/331355034817?pt=UK_Garden_Tables&hash=item4d264c94c1

This is the highest I could find.
Hope it helps.

Thank you all for your replies, they are really helpful :slight_smile:

I’m getting quite excited about the stall now, though the event isn’t until Easter! x

I used to use a good quality pasting table and it was a similar height to those that had camping tables, party tables etc.

I bought one of these last year

Lifetime 6ft Light Folding Trestle Table from Amazon. I paid £33.99 though it’s now showing at more like £60. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013JMK28?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
after deciding my pasting table was not strong enough for the weight of my glass. The table is fantastic and the same height as everyone else’s. Lots of people have the same or equivalent, strong, easy to put up and to carry.
Mine is inside the garage door at the moment forming a draught excluder against the chill so another excellent use for it !

It is good to get a higher one, I borrowed a pasting table and it was higher, kept little fingers away Lol, but the one I bought for Christmas is a basic pasting table and not that good.

I agree with others that you need a compromise height to ensure that persons of small stature and wheelchair-users can use the table.

As a guide, various regulations for accessible counters (eg serving counters, reception counters) , require a surface not higher than 760mm (about 30") and a knee recess not less than 700mm high above floor level. ( About 27 1/2"). The knee- recess needs to be at least 500mm deep horizontally ( about 19 3/4")

There are no specific regulations for craft-fair tables/ table heights, but note that the service providers should make reasonable adjustments to make the areas accessible for disabled people and others. If you try and follow the counter dimensions above for heights and knee recesses, you won’t go far wrong.

Hope this helps.

I have one of these too. It’s a really good height for some of my bookbinding work and would be great for a craft fair, demo table etc.
Look for one that doesn’t need to be taken apart in order to fold it up, but with safety clips to prevent accidental collapse. If it has a carry handle too, that is a definite benefit!

Also, you can adjust the display height of your items, by placing things on the table top - boxes or baskets containing smaller items, upside-down boxes to stand things on, small bookcases or shelf units, display racks etc.
I think there was a thread on Talk a little while ago, discussing ways of displaying items at craft fairs - it might be worth searching it out.

It really is a good idea to have a table which is the same height as surrounding tables as quite often they can be very close together and look a lot better if all on a level.

I think most tables are a fairly standard height. I have one of the ones like Joys @JOYSofGLASS and sometimes I cheat a bit by putting a cheap pasting table with a couple of inches sawn off the legs in front of it to give a larger overall display area with height variation. I also put a shelf on some boxes along the back of my table to add extra height. Often at craft fairs you are limited to a 6ft table but sometimes you can increase the depth which gives you more display space. I wouldn’t recommend a pasting table for anything heavy or valuable though! As all my things are made from felt which is extremely light I don’t have a problem. This was my stall at Christmas (I also had 2 small camping tables at the sides - never enough space!) you can see the step up from one table to the next where the kingfisher picture is.

2 Likes