Folksy Ltd

Different prices in different places

(Roz) #1

What do people think about setting the price of items at different levels depending on where they are listed. Should the same item if listed here, on the dark side, the bay, at craft fairs, Facebook or B&M shop, be listed at the same price throughout or is some variation acceptable according to costs incurred/target market etc. Interested to hear your thoughts.

(Grimm Exhibition) #2

I mostly charge the same or less at fairs, than I do here. Some things I charge more for at fairs but with P+P here they work out the same amount. eg candles at fairs £2 each, set of 4 candles in my shop= £5 for candles and £3 P+P so 4 candles at a fair would = the same as buying them here. Hope that made sense.

(Brenda Cumming) #3

I charge the same here as the dark side but on the bay I offer a lower start price because people there expect a bargain…however, items on there are nearly always ones that have been on here and haven’t sold…I list here first…

(Emma Rogerson) #4

I charge slightly more for my personalised cards in B&M shops because the commission is higher and customers have to pay postage online.
I have been told in the past the selling price should be the same everywhere and It is something I have often pondered as to whether this is the best thing to do. Looking forward to seeing what others think!
Emma

( Carol ) #5

I don’t see why you should have to charge the same everywhere. If I go to the Tesco petrol station half a mile from me unleaded is currently 123.9p yet Tesco 2 miles away is 122.9p!

(Sasha Garrett) #6

I have a simpler pricing structure at fairs than I do here - for example here I have pieces with the price range of £6.50-£8 which accurately reflects the time and costs incurred, at craft fairs they get priced at £7.50 so that I can have 1 price tag for that bit of the display (rather than individual tags which can detract and be distracting) and the maths becomes easier. For the bigger/ more expensive items the price here and the price at fairs tends to be the same.
Sasha

(Sonia Adam) #7

I’ve been pondering this today as well because I have a craft fair booked for next week. I’m tempted to lower some of my items for the fair as I won’t have to pay fees etc but I do need to take petrol & table fee into account as well. I will also be reading the replies of others with interest.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #8

I charge the item price less postage at craft fairs as there’s on postage to pay.

I did consider taking off the paypal charge and folksy fee’s from the item price for craft fairs but then I have to pay for the table fee and petrol and wear and tear on the car to get to a craft fair so that has to be included in the items price.

You need to take ALL costs into account when pricing an item.

(Liz Dyson) #9

I sold my soul to the devil a couple of days ago and listed 4 of my corsages on ebay @ £7.50 which was the original asking price here. However, I have reduced the price to £5 on Folksy, so we’ll see what happens - not expecting to make a million.

(Grimm Exhibition) #10

My ex boss said that if people want something they will pay the asking price. I havnt seen that happen for a while tho. Lots of reductions and BOGOF’s later, no sales so Ive decided to stick to my original prices.

(Leanne Woods) #11

I used to charge less at craft fairs but kept all my online prices the same, I then had trade prices regardless of whether the items were supplied on consignment or bought wholesale, the end price charged in the shop was up to the shop owner and I always made it clear that I wouldn’t(and in some cases couldn’t) match those prices.

I’ve seen some stall holders at fairs advertising an ‘on the day discount’ in all likelihood the items are discounted by postage/paypal/commission etc but it does seem to work for them and encourage people to pop out to an atm, nip home for the purse etc rather than just take a card for later.

Probably depends on where you are and when though.

(Claire Davis) #12

I usually charge a bit less at fairs, and tell customers that I have done so, to try and encourage them to buy then and there. Sometimes it works, often not! I only reduce by a small amount anyway. The prices across all my online shops are the same.

(Susannah Ayre) #13

I charge the same on everything. Postage I add on as an extra anyway. So don’t have to think about taking that off.
Personally, I would hate to buy something from one website or whatever and then discover it was cheaper elsewhere. So as I wouldn’t want that to happen to me, I don’t do it to my potential customers.
I did a craft fair the other day and kept prices the same as well. That didn’t stop people buying my more expensive prints (£40 each) so I guess people are right- if people really want it they’ll pay.

I think a lot of handmade sellers sell for a lot less than they should anyway. :confused:

(Sonia Adam) #14

You’re right, I wouldn’t like to see different prices online either. I think the only reason I might lower them for a fair is because I’m afraid of having to justify my prices face-to-face. I should be strong, it’s handmade, I’ve spent time & materials making it, I have overheads - that’s the price!

(Diane Mc Kechnie) #15

my prices in my online shops are exactly the same but prices for my cards to local people are slightly less as I dont have to pay fees.
I have a trade price for b&m shops and the prices they charge vary quite a bit but still more than I charge my locals. I always suggest to the shops to charge at least what I charge my locals but they always ask more.
I am going to put my trade prices up after xmas as have been charging the same for years . I don’t know how that will go

(Elaine) #16

Interesting topic. My online prices are the same, but I have items in one B&M shop that have set the price more than online and I have items in another B&M shop where I’ve set the price slightly lower than online. This feels really awkward, but I guess the retailer at the first B&M has the choice to set her own price (she knows what I charge online, and my business cards all link to my online shops). For the second B&M, a craft centre/shop selling local handmade items, I felt my prices needed to be more in line with the other sellers - it’s also not in a particularly wealthy area. Unfortunately, it is a loss maker for me at the mo.

Elaine

(Kate Bowles) #17

Most galleries expect you to have the same RRP where ever you sell and won’t touch you if you undercut their prices.

(Janet Batten) #18

I don’t think it is wrong to charge different prices at different venues. Table fees can be very high if you divide it by the number of items you have it would probably work out a lot more than the listing fee here or E bay (often free) plus you have to sit there all day often being criticised for prices or the worst thing … someone saying… I could make that !
janet

(Leslie Morton) #19

I believe in pricing what you feel is right for that particular venue. It’s called dynamic pricing and once you get the feel of where you are selling you should adjust your prices to whatever works for that particular sales outlet. For instance, I will charge more in a b&m shop in an affluent or exclusive area as I’m probably receiving a lower percentage to reflect the shop’s higher overheads. On line, I would try to price competitively or perhaps a touch lower to reflect that my overheads are lower. I figure out what I want to get for each item, take into account selling costs and price accordingly.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Leslie

(Pauline Hayward) #20

On here, Craft fairs and FB I try to keep my prices similar, but on my own website they are slightly more because I have to include my postage costs in the price.