Folksy Ltd

Elasticating a dress question

(PoisonedAppleJewellery) #1

Ive been planning on making a couple dresses Id like elasticate in places.
I was wondering if there is a well known extra amount of cms/inches that you are meant to add on to a pattern piece, to accommodate for the elastics gathering.
eg the front panel of a dress is 18", should I then add 2/4/6/ inches to each side to allow for gathering by the elastic.
I hope that made sense.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #2

It depends on how much gathering you like and how big it need to open out to in order to get the item on.

(PoisonedAppleJewellery) #3

Aha,that makes sense. Ive just made a mock dress, I added on about an extra 12" al the way round(I plan on using flowy floaty fabric for the finished item) I shall try it on and let you know how it looks. Really not looking forward to taking off the 6 layers ive had on all day, that have been keeping me warm.

(Samantha Stanley) #4

If you are making a pull on dress for a child you use the double the shoulder measurement (so it goes all the way round) plus about 2" or 5 cm ease. The elastic itself should be the waist measurement plus the usual ease from the pattern. Stretch the elastic as you sew and the gathers will take care of themselves.

Love Sam x